Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 The Church back in the States
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   07-13-17 11:06

This fall.

Details.

Reply To This Message

Re: The Church back in the States
Author: breno 
Date:   07-13-17 11:42

And of course, they're skipping St. Louis. I think they've played here twice in 35 years, and the last time they were here it was at the sound-swallowing, asphyxiating, soul-destroying tar pit the Ready Room. I was 25 feet from the stage and it sounded like I was listening to them on an intercom at the bottom of a well in the next county.

But that could just be the heat stroke talking. That show was the only time in my life I can remember walking outside to 91 degree heat at 11 pm and breathing a sigh of relief at how cool and refreshing it felt.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   07-13-17 13:28

Holy Toledo! They're coming to my town! Guess I'd better go. I saw the "Starfish" tour [w/ Tom Verlaine/Peter Murphy - what a triple bill!] 29 years ago but have not had the pleasure since.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-13-17 15:03

They were terrific at SXSW a couple of years ago. You can even watch that show hhere. Which is interesting - I was there and don't remember seeing any cameras. Glad they captured it, though.

Reply To This Message

Author: zwirnm 
Date:   07-13-17 15:35

I see they are playing the 9:30 in DC. I saw them ages ago in Portland, and it was not a great show - they had sound problems. But I was less informed of their work and back catalogue then than I am now; would be willing to check them out again.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   07-13-17 18:04

I'll miss their Seattle show. I'll be on vacation when they're here.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   07-13-17 19:58

If you can't go to church because your on vacation, the CHURCH will come to you. Just leave message with the band where your gonna be. The old bondi beach blokes signed up for the 'endless summer' tour that includes two dates in fla. I'm nearly speechless, all can hurl up is,

You bloody rippers!

Post Edited (07-13-17 22:48)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-14-17 11:33

> If you can't go to church because your on vacation, the CHURCH will come to you.

Not bloody likely, mate. (Wow, I can't believe I typed that. What a perpetrator.) I'll be in the UK, the first half of September. I'm also booked for a visit back to CO in October, but before I get there, the boys will have their tour dates wrapped up.

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   07-17-17 20:34

For those that miss out, the doco "Something Quite Peculiar: The Life and Time of Steve Kilbey" is about to screen at the Melbourne Film Festival so it should be making its way to you folks sometime soon.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-19-17 12:40

Here's the trailer for that.

I'd still like to read his book. It was never released over here and I could never quite bring myself to pay the extra money for an import.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   07-19-17 13:40

Ah, man! I hadn't even noticed that the Helio Sequence is opening for them on this tour. Now I'm even grouchier about how badly St. Louis sucks.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-20-17 21:08

I just picked up me tools from a side job (aluminum hand rails). Now i've finally got the cold hard cash for two Sept 23, Orlando tickets. I just wish it were an outdoor concert in Daytona Bch with hurricane force winds blowing the dust off the gear. An east coast cochella, if you will..

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   08-21-17 09:11

Steve, if you actually buy the tix, let me know! I'm 50-50 at the moment. If I go, we need to shake hands and say hi.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-25-17 17:11

It would be an honor sir. And certainly would make the event that much more memorable. I really appreciate the invitation zoo.

However, I too have slipped into the 50/50 zone after realizing that both Florida gigs are standing room only. That means my wife can't go to either venue, due to her debilitating arthritis. I'm mulling it over, let's see what transpires.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-01-17 00:35

That's it then, me, zoo, his significant other, tp fan club preZ kathleen, all dancing. And the CHURCH playing to an empty wheelchair loaded to its fishnet gills with backstage ice cold ales.
Happy days!

See YOU in Orlando, @ the Social.
Sat 23 Sep 2017

Post Edited (09-01-17 01:52)

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-01-17 06:50

Got tickets for my wife and I last night. Pals from Chapel Hill are coming into Asheville for this and it's the night before my birthday, so… yay!

Reply To This Message

Author: thegoldenyear 
Date:   09-02-17 18:04

Ach...bypassing Toronto despite the length of the tour, but I'm no longer surprised since a few people told me it's never been a favourite port-of-call for them.

I've seen them but once, couple years ago on the first record after Ian replaced Marty, and it was deeply enjoyable, the first set built round The Blurred Crusade and the back end around Further/Deeper. Got to chatting with Tim Powles after the show - what a nice gent! - and then found myself on the bus drinking a beer beside Peter Koppes, talking about their lengthy run of four-star reviews in the Australian Rolling Stone.

I'd certainly never miss them if they were playing my town. A consistently VERY GOOD band!

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-08-17 02:34

offshore winds are picking up...

Post Edited (09-08-17 02:48)

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-18-17 11:24

I'll be seeing this show in Austin tonight. If the setlists on Setlist.fm are any indication, it's gonna be a hell of a show: new stuff, hits, deep cuts, including starting off with "Aura," long one of my favorite Church songs.

As much as it hurt for Marty Willson-Piper to leave (or get fired, depending on who you ask), I have to admit that the lineup shakeup was a shot in their collective arm. I thought their last album Further/Deeper was their best album in years. I've heard only a couple of new tunes from the October-released Man Woman Life Death Infinity, but they sound of a piece with the last record.

I'm actually covering this for the local weekly, which is a surprise. (My editor passed on my covering this past weekend's local Sonic Transmissions festival in favor of covering the Church.)

Tomorrow night at the same venue: Swervedriver doing Raise and Mezcal Head.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-19-17 16:18

My take on the show for the Austin Chronicle:

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2017-09-19/the-church-cuts-loose/

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-19-17 17:14

Ohhh man, that setlist looks like the Church show of my dreams.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   09-20-17 14:36

Yeah, it's cool seeing "Fly" on there. I've seen them a few times, but they never played that one.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-20-17 15:05

I've seen them a few times too, but I don't think I've ever heard them play "Fly" or "The Unguarded Moment" (the song that introduced me to them).

First time I saw them, they did an unplugged show. That setting made "Myrrh," "Metropolis" and "North, South, East, West" sound especially enthralling.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   09-20-17 18:38

Quote:

Yeah, it's cool seeing "Fly" on there. I've seen them a few times, but they never played that one.

Quote:

I've seen them a few times too, but I don't think I've ever heard them play "Fly"

<<<ahem>>>

I saw 'em play "Fly" at The Ritz in New York City on June 9th 1988.

I was 18.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   09-24-17 02:08

Sounds like a fairly memorable moment, Kay.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-17 06:13

Well, due to bass fracking, we walked out on The Church. Like so many acts these days. Sigh.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-17 09:59

"Bass fracking"?

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-17 10:02

Huh? Do you mean a mix where the bass was so loud it overwhelmed everything else?

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-17 12:21

Hard to imagine, given the ace sound quality I've enjoyed at every Church gig I've seen.

Ride did have that problem Sunday night, but it wasn't so bad that I walked out on them.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-17 12:59

They sounded great at the show I saw. Matthew Sweet, Midge Ure and Swervedriver also sounded excellent at the same venue.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-27-17 17:36

That would be it. Sub bass frequencies are boosted for loudness impact. Every kick drum and bass riff rattled my throat and chest. I've had it worse than that. I walked out of a John Cale at Hopscotch Festival show in 2013 that actually caused my organs to twitch with each beat. And we bought passes strictly to see Cale, though we also took in Pere Ubu, who saved the $150/each investment with a superb performance. Of course, it goes without saying that I had plugs in. This was just a pounding of seismic bass. It would be one thing if I were seeing a dubstep act…

Post Edited (09-27-17 17:38)

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-28-17 09:11

Weird that it would be a problem for the Church, whose sound depends on an understanding of dynamics. Sounds like you had a clueless soundman.

There used to be a club here in Austin called the Back Room. Mostly a metal club, but also hosted acts like the Damned from time to time. (Indeed, that's where I first saw them.) They CONSISTENTLY cranked the bass over everything else. It drove me crazy. Believe it or not, even metal needs a sympathetic soundperson who understands how to balance instruments. When you've got a guy screaming like a werewolf with his testicles being clawed and you can still barely hear him over the bass throb (and, let's face it, in extreme metal the bass is the least important instrument), there's something way off.

You can imagine what Motorhead shows in that club were like. I was convinced for years that the guitar was just a formality and that they could make it as a duo until I saw them at another, better mixed venue.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-28-17 10:01

> Sounds like you had a clueless soundman.

Who could be seen driving away from the club after the show, in his little tweezer of an American-made car, with the windows down and the bass booming enough to rattle windows in nearby buildings ... because to him, that's what music is for.

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-28-17 11:19

Well, the club's board was untouched. There was a 2nd board set up on the floor in front of the club's board and roped off. This is where the "magic" happened. A female sound tech mixed the opening act [Helio Sequence] with a little too much bass, and then a burly bald dude took over for The Church. Over the line. I agree that it was weird for The Church. A band that sounds "dreamy," not "punchy."

Reply To This Message

Date:   09-28-17 11:56

Weird that there was too much bass for the Helio Sequence, since they have no bass. Somebody was asleep at the switch for both acts.

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   09-28-17 12:38

Yikes! I saw that at the Orlando show (that Zoo and Steve were going to), the set was truncated because the band was late due to transportation problems and THEN the air conditioning was out. Apparently, Peter Koppes flipped out and ranted to the crowd about it.

I'm seeing them on Sunday, hope all the kinks have been worked out.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-01-17 18:40

I'll try, but the Dutchess, Glorina (the twelfth) of the Grand Fenwick islands said it best, 'bless you all !

Post Edited (10-01-17 18:42)

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   10-02-17 21:22

Quote:

Yikes! I saw that at the Orlando show (that Zoo and Steve were going to), the set was truncated because the band was late due to transportation problems and THEN the air conditioning was out.

I ended up not going because my son had a baseball tournament and it was too much to drive back and forth to Bradenton on Sat and Sun for that, and a trip over to Orlando and back Sat night to see the show. Looks like I didn't miss much.

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   10-03-17 13:42

Well, I lucked out. I don't remember Steve Kilbey ever being so 'on' when I saw the Church before. He was running all over the stage, goofing around with his bandmates, flinging out wisecracks - "We only accept bitcoins for the merchandise" and generally acting like he was very happy to be performing. Not one or two but three freakouts (which I love) - Myrrh, Tantalized and Miami. It was an all around good show.

No problems with the bass but the bass drum was at times too loud. I did think the bass was a little loud with the Helio Sequence, which I seem to notice when the bass is preprogrammed (at least I thought it was). Funny, how animated and loud the drummer was (he broke his snare during the set) but when I listen to their studio stuff, the drums aren't really that present.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-03-17 14:38

That's consistent with the show I saw here in Austin. Kilbey is just really into it these days.

There was pretty much no bass outside of the bass drum during the Helio Sequence set I saw. It was guitar, drums and some synth washes in the background. That drummer clearly really loves his job.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org