Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Peter Perrett returns
Author: Five*Words 
Date:   05-13-17 00:16

New record in June, with his sons backing him up on gtr and bass.

He's looking better than he has any right to, sounds the same as he ever did, but as a huge Only Ones fan, the title track and video are a little underwhelming to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYuGlD3XSOw

Reply To This Message

Re: Peter Perrett returns
Author: mats84 
Date:   05-13-17 14:02

A huge fan but I worry Peter's time may have passed though I'm anxious to hear what musical ideas he has.

It's a shame there wasn't more for him after Woke Up Sticky which was a great record and he was together enough then to pull it off. That is really underrated.....

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   05-14-17 22:05

Quote:

"... the title track and video are a little underwhelming to my ears ..."

Underwhelming? My ears thought "How The West Was Won" sounded pretty damned fantastic.

. . .

Don't ask me how I ended up with sentient, opinionated ears.

Post Edited (05-22-17 19:48)

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   05-22-17 11:27

A new song has just been released - hear it here.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-22-17 18:00

Well that one's a flat-out stunner, has his pop sense, his self-mythologizing angle and wraps it all up in the 3 minute range. Impressed.....

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-16-17 18:52

For those interested this record is out now and I'm pretty much shocked by how good it is cut for cut. Definitely one of my favorite releases of 2017 and it stays in your head and rewards repeated plays too.

It actually tops Woke Up Sticky which was exactly what I thought it wouldn't do.........at least it plays as a more thematic whole. It's on Youtube as individual cuts if you want to check it out (search Perrett How The West Was Won and that should do the trick).

I can't think of a comeback record quite like this one - he's got 2 records in 37 years and this is the first in 20.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   07-16-17 19:57

I've listened to three tracks, they sound like the velvet underground.
Lou Reed had the soul of a seventy year old when he was twenty something. I reckon that would make the twenty something year old souls of the 'sons of Peter Perrett' (sounds like a band you might hear piped through the Hogwarts school of art offices) seventy something years old. Cool

Post Edited (07-16-17 21:22)

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   07-17-17 12:44

Just listened. Damn good stuff.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   07-17-17 14:12

Quote:

I can't think of a comeback record quite like this one - he's got 2 records in 37 years and this is the first in 20.

Perhaps he's had ... other priorities?

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-17-17 14:35

Haha indeed he has..........indeed he has......... but I still can't think of another parallel to him and not just with the infrequency of the releases but how good they are.

I mean the last Only Ones record he was only 28. First post Only Ones release he was about 44.............new one he's 65. Maybe Brian Wilson is a good frame of reference off the top of my head but even that isn't quite right.

Reply To This Message

Author: Five*Words 
Date:   07-17-17 20:11

It is a pretty great addition to his legacy (and not just a great comeback record). After spending the last week with it, I still stand by my initial assessment of the title track. While there's nothing at all wrong with that big tremolo'd guitar, I'm thankful that there's some more bite in Peter Jr.'s guitar work on the rest of the record. I still don't need to hear Kim Kardashian or J-Lo name-checked by him or anyone else (and commentary on their asses is needed even less), but I'll forgive it for *all* that the rest of the record has to offer. A most-welcome return.

Mats, did you hear the live record from '98 (or the 2000 reissue of it) of him and The One at the Mean Fiddler in '94, before "Sticky" was recorded? It's well worth hearing. The original release is a pretty bare-bones booklet w/ liners from Andy Blade of Eater; the reissue is 2 discs and a bigger booklet (same liners, plus a PP Q&A), the second disc being him and the boys doing AG, AP and No Peace For The Wicked live in the studio.

Domino did just last year release Shirley Collins' Lodestar after a 30-year wait....

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-17-17 21:47

Damn on that Shirley Collins record, I totally missed that - that's something else. 38 years it looks like.

I have heard that live record - I remember it was odd because some of that stuff never showed up anywhere else at the time iirc - not on Woke Up Sticky or on the EP though they maybe came out later as bonus tracks somewhere. The tracklist is a mix of the One songs and Only Ones stuff and it was really strong songs and a good, capable band.

I still play Woke Up Sticky fairly often, the first half is especially great - Falling, Woke Up Sticky, Deep Freeze are some of his best stuff. Maybe the new record might get something happening in anthologizing the loose ends in his career a bit (I mean even Remains was a fascinating Only Ones record of that other "non- album" stuff).

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org