Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 I beg to differ
Author: Delvin 
Date:   06-22-17 12:23

What albums/artists that TP has slagged (either in its original reviews in the magazine, its Record Guides or this website) have become favorites of yours?

Alternately, what albums have gotten great reviews from TP, in one medium or another, that have left you wondering what the fuss was about?

Monk's comments on the Billy MacKenzie thread made me think of this thread. My apologies if it's been done before.

Reply To This Message

Re: I beg to differ
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   06-22-17 12:52

I disagree strongly with TP's assessment of Robyn Hitchcock's Queen Elvis - that's the album that made me a fan. The criticisms leveled at it are, to my mind, more properly applied to the previous album Globe of Frogs.

I also disagree with the take on the Triffids' Calenture - I've always thought the "big league gloss" suited David McComb's songwriting style.

On the flip side, I'm astonished that anyone would defend Iggy Pop's Beat 'em Up, however reservedly. That's the absolute nadir of his career to my ears. Half-assed "songs" drowning in that shitty, ultra-compressed version of late 90s rock radio-ready production. There was no need for Iggy to try to compete with Nickelback, especially not with songs that piss-poor. I'll take Avenue B, as oddly conceived as it is, over that travesty any century.

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   06-22-17 13:36

Well there's several but the two obvious ones for me are the "masterpiece" tag given to Automatic For The People (an album that is my de facto pick for all-time overrated) and the mostly cold/lukewarm review given Is This It, which I loooooooove despite it's love it/hate it larger rep.

To me those are examples of "non listening" reviews - they make more sense when the albums aren't actually playing and are just being talked about outside what my ears are telling me.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   06-22-17 13:42

I've always been able to see Ira's point about the Waterboys being just a tad overblown, but I always liked them anyway. (I'm glad he finally fixed the typo on the site for Fisherman's Blues, which used to say the album was "entirely bad" and now says "not entirely bad," although he does seem to say that through clenched teeth.)

Steven Grant's entry on this site for Gary Numan is actually pretty hard to gauge as far as what Grant's opinion on Numan was. I'm pretty sure (though I'll have to check the back issues Ira has posted to be entirely sure) that TP pretty much toed the "Numan is an idiot who just needs to go away" line that was prevalent back then, for reasons I never understood. Which makes me suspect that Grant probably actually liked Numan more than was fashionable at the time and tried to keep his tone neutral in an attempt to not slag an artist he liked but also not be ridiculed by his colleagues.

That said, I don't think Grant even listened to I, Assassin before writing the book entry, as he posits that it was Numan trying to return to his old pre-Dance sound, when it always seemed to me that he was attempting to further his collaboration with Mick Karn without the aggravation of actually having to collaborate with Karn, as Numan was not one to happily collaborate with others.

There are several of my own entries on this site that I look at and wince with pain now. Not so much the opinions themselves, but other crap they contain - it was a current and well-known story at the time when I wrote the initial Neko Case entry about her being voted the hottest woman in indie rock by Playboy readers, but I really want that BS to be gone now, as it's completely irrelevant (it was not one bit relevant at the time, but it was mentioned in every contemporary article about her so it just seemed like part of the gospel.) If I ever get around to writing updates again and bring her entry up to date, I'm going to ask Ira if he will delete that crap. It's a sexist and pointless bit of trivia about an artist I respect the hell out of.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   06-22-17 13:50

Quote:

Automatic For The People (an album that is my de facto pick for all-time overrated

I beg to differ! That album punches me in the gut every time I listen to it. It perfectly catches that moment in life when it finally sinks in that youth is gone forever and you're in this for the long haul, so you'd better buck it up and get on with it. If anyone ever wrote a better line about the melancholy of maturity than "These things they go away/replaced by every day", I don't know what it is.

I agree with you on Is This It, - though. That album was just one of those that had "it," whatever "it" is. And the Strokes didn't even know the answer to that question, but they were pretty damn sure they knew as well as anyone.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   06-22-17 14:31

No album with a song as cloying as "Everybody Hurts" can be a masterpiece. That one about Andy Kaufman is pretty nice though.

Reply To This Message

Author: wade 
Date:   06-22-17 17:01

I'm sure there are many, but one that comes to mind immediately is Luna's Penthouse.

I gave it a skip at the time due to the awful review, so I was astounded by how much I liked it when I finally bought it for pennies around ten years ago. Moreover, it now seems to be the consensus pick for their best album, by both fans and the band itself.

Post Edited (06-22-17 17:02)

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   06-22-17 19:55

"i'm a differ beggar" copyright, snagglepuss

my answer to the original question is SANDINISTA!

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-23-17 10:21

> If I ever get around to writing updates again and bring her entry up to date, I'm going to
> ask Ira if he will delete that crap.

My experience has been that Ira will allow edits/deletions to your old reviews, provided you're just updating your own words.

When I extended the MX-80 review, he did let me edit the pre-existing portions. I assume he accepted my recommendations (in part) because I didn't actually delete a single word of Robert Payes and David Sprague's original work -- just re-arranged the sentences in a way that, IMO, made more sense.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   06-23-17 23:23

Quote:

If anyone ever wrote a better line about the melancholy of maturity than "These things they go away/replaced by every day", I don't know what it is.

"Oh yeah. Life goes on .... long after the thrill of livin' is gone."
~ John Cougar Mellencamp Jingleheimer-Schmidt

. . .

Crushes the R.E.M. lyric like a toad on the road. Sorry.

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-27-17 14:48

Agree on The Waterboys and The Strokes.

When I wrote the Gary Myrick review, I was going up against the entry from the original TP Record Guide, which dismissed Myrick as a New Wave bandwagon jumper ... as well as Ira's still-online review of Havana 3AM, an album I like a hell of a lot more than he did.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org