Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 RIP Batman
Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   06-10-17 14:51

Old chum Adam West is dead, but the Batman theme lives on, it's one of television's greatest themes. Even Voivod covered it on one of their albums. Anyway, Adam was one of those actors who fully embraced the Caped Crusader role that made him famous instead of downplaying it for fear it would make him less of an actor. Helluva nice guy too.

Post Edited (06-10-17 14:55)

Reply To This Message

Re: RIP Batman
Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   06-10-17 22:10

He'll always be the only TRUE Caped Crusader as far as I'm concerned.

Here are a few Bat-tunes to see him off:

Pylon

Los Straitjackets

Los Straitjackets again.

Weird.

. . .

And (on a semi-related tangent) I *did* like how Frank Miller's graphic novel handled the Death Of Batman® back when:

Rest In Piece. The ducklings say "Thank You!"

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   06-11-17 08:42

There's also The Jam's cover of the Batman theme.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   06-11-17 09:12

That's Entertainment!

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   06-12-17 08:53

I totally loved Batman TV series. Awesome when you are seven. Hilarious when you are 18. Brilliant when you are 30. I infected by nephews [4 + 7] with the Batman virus - set them up with VHS copies of some of my favorite episodes. It was the least I could do. Then, a few years later, there was a collector's con in town and my wife thought we could go and get signed autographs for the whole family. Her younger sister used to like playing Catwoman in her mom's cha-vha heels. So we went. I had already seen the genius Frank Gorshin at at earlier comic shop signing a few years back, so I have had the glossy in the Record Cell in a place of honor. Gorshin, Ward, Newmar and West were at this show. We got signed glossies from the first three for the whole family's birthday gifts that year. My wife explained what we were doing and Newmar got into the spirit, signing her photo "Ellen, you're fabulous! Happy Birthday!" Very cool.

West had a queue elsewhere. A few years earlier a friend who ran a flea market had given me the issue of Life magazine with the "Batman" cover. I had wanted to get to signed by West, but before I could get into the line, I ran into friends at the show who had already seen West. They said for that item an autograph would cost me $80!!! Needless to say I turned on a dime and did not pay fealty to West; financially or otherwise that day. And I was ready to feed his ego since his performance as Batman/Bruce Wayne was the brilliant linchpin of the entire show's conceit. But not for $80! Even so, my cowl is off to Adam West. His work has informed my character and given me immeasurable enjoyment all of my life.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Post Edited (06-12-17 09:04)

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org