Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 What? Did I hear that correctly?
Author: Delvin 
Date:   05-05-17 10:53

What's the stupidest thing you've ever heard a musician say to his/her audience?

Heff's story about seeing Love & Rockets provided the idea for this one.

Reply To This Message

Re: What? Did I hear that correctly?
Author: Heff 
Date:   05-05-17 12:37

Surprisingly, I can't think of really anything dumber than my L&R example but here are a couple of location mistakes.

Joey Belladonna of Anthrax repeatedly kept calling the venue as being in 'Baltimore' when we were in DC.

I saw Bootsy Collins at this place in Falls Church, VA and the woman who introduced him, kept referring to the place as Church Falls.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-19-17 10:26

I heard at least three bands playing in Colorado Springs greet the crowd with, "Hello, Denver!" Two of those bands (Quiet Riot and The Apples in Stereo) realized their mistake when the crowd booed. Kevin Dubrow gave some half-assed apology, blaming it on being high all the time; Robert Schneider rolled out some shtick about how he and his bandmates sometimes get confused, being time travelers and all that. The frontman for Spacehog, however, was oblivious, thanking "Denver" again at the end of their set. They did not get an encore.

The dumbest thing, though, I've ever heard from a musician on stage came from Cy Curnin of The Fixx. The band was great, when they were playing, but Curnin's stage patter was full of both sanctimony and self-absorption, reaching its zenith with:

"You know, I still can't get over the fact that I was never asked whether I wanted to be born."

Maybe that Fixx show is one reason I've never shared the sour views that a lot of people have about U2. As far as I'm concerned, Bono really would have to work at it to top that one.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   05-19-17 11:38

There was this exchange during the Rocket From the Tombs show I saw back in 2003.

Audience member: Punk rock!

Cheetah Chrome: We're not a punk band. We're a real band.

David Thomas: We're not a punk band. Punk is a man doing an unnatural thing to another man in prison.

Nobody in the gay-positive Austin audience seemed to know what to make of that. Fortunately, they moved on to the next song fairly quickly.

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   05-24-17 20:10

I recall Henry Rolling saying he went to the Ratt reunion in LA and it was going swimmingly for the band until the singer said:
“You guys like that Ratt shit? I’ll tell you what. Ratt shit’s better than cat shit. Cat shit stinks”
This comment apparently totally took the wind out of the gig’s sails. He thought the various band members appeared greatly distracted by trying to work out what he meant.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-25-17 09:07

We saw an Oasis gig that happened to be on December 8th. Liam Gallagher pointed out that it was the anniversary of the death of John Lennon -- "the greatest person in all of rock & roll, after me."

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   05-29-17 11:31

Quote:

What's the stupidest thing you've ever heard a musician say to his/her audience?

"ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?"

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   05-29-17 11:59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-cH1voT8w

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   05-30-17 13:58

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-cH1voT8w

Oh, my...that's so awesome yet so horrible at the same time. I listened for about 3 minutes then had to stop.

Reply To This Message

Author: dj45rpm 
Date:   05-30-17 21:48

And of course we remember this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   05-30-17 22:41

"I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism, It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here… Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"
- Eric Clapton, the Ted Nugent of England

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   05-31-17 10:34

Re: Clapton. It's amazing how such a boring musician could be so inflammatory!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org