Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 U2 in Seattle
Author: Delvin 
Date:   05-15-17 17:34

This probably won't draw a lot of interest (except perhaps of the jeering variety), but that's okay.

U2 is touring with a more stripped-down presentation than their previous stadium outings. They do have a very wide projection screen behind them, and a ramp extending down to a secondary stage where all four of them can perform (including a full drum kit). That may not sound very "stripped-down," but it's not nearly as over-the-top as Zoo TV, or as outright ridiculous as Popmart.

They got the crowd into full-on Eighties mode with their first five numbers, setting the mood for a front-to-back recap of The Joshua Tree. The big screen presented a lot of videos of desolate wasteland, abandoned shacks, and people at the ends of their ropes. Sound quality was excellent throughout -- in fact, for a stadium show, it was outstanding. They had better sound quality than Los Lobos had, the night before. Eddie Vedder came out to sing the final JT song, "Mothers of the Disappeared."

They filled the encore with post-Eighties selections, including a brand new song ("a song of experience," Bono called it) called "The Little Things That Give You Away." I could see a lot of people leaving during that one, although I can't say whether they were trying to beat the traffic or just skipping out on a weak song. Either way, they missed a final Eighties offering.

SETLIST:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Havent' Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky
Running to Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit
Mothers of the Disappeared

ENCORE:
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
One
Miss Sarajevo
The Little Things That Give You Away
I Will Follow

Although I enjoyed U2's set, I can't imagine voluntarily going back to Century Link Field for any concert (much less any sports event). The few times I went to events at Mile High Stadium in Denver, I found it to be a real zoo, sure ... but "the Clink" is a whole other ball game, so to speak. Probably because it's in a much more crowded city, it was a huge headache to find the best way to get into the damned place, and to find our seats afterward. We had opted to park farther north, and take the light rail down to the stadium. On the way back after the show, the trains were packed to bursting with people who had the same idea.

All the complications of getting in meant we missed at least half of Mumford & Sons' opening set. We sat for two or three songs of it, but when a banjo showed up onstage, we decided we'd rather go see what the concession stands had to offer.

Reply To This Message

Re: U2 in Seattle
Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   05-16-17 08:23

I live in Appalachia. You were wise to avoid the banjo. That said, I recently saw Tall Tall Trees open for Kishi Bashi, and on the face of it, a dude with a huge beard who played banjo would be ferociously pushing my "flee!" buttons, but Mike Savino [basically the band, apart from a drummer] did his best to subvert the banjo by submitting it to every sort of FX pedal and samplers. He even sang into the drum for a quasi-vocoder effect. Surprisingly, highly entertaining and 100% untraditional. Thank goodness.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   05-16-17 10:01

I've enjoyed Bela Fleck plenty of times in the past. And I saw a ska band once, the Mad Caddies, who employed a banjo to worthwhile effect. But folk music just isn't my thing. I agree with the point Fab made a couple months ago: "alternative rock" has somehow devolved from anti-hippie, punk-informed music to anti-punk, hippie-informed music, and it's a sad thing to hear.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   05-18-17 22:23

if U2 really want to revive their careers and play anymore footy staduims in this country, i suggest they borrow the FLAMING LIPS lasers and shoot down some China made drones with them. otherwise, gather your gear boys and piss off back to Dublin.

Post Edited (05-18-17 22:26)

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   05-20-17 07:54

Ya, gradually over time U2's music will be forgotten.

However, the lads will be remembered among grammarians and linguists for their linguistic conundrum of a title, Get On Your Boots. Whether it should be Get Your Boots On will be debated for centuries to come.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   05-20-17 07:57

Quote:

All the complications of getting in meant we missed at least half of Mumford & Sons' opening set.

I'd have arranged to miss it all ... but one can't have everything, I suppose.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   05-21-17 22:34

hoip makes a most ironic point,
you can't fight a new war with an old pair of doc martens.

bravo!

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org