Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 R.I.P. (career-wise) PWR BTTM
Author: BCE 
Date:   05-17-17 21:12

I would be lying if I didn't think they have *got* to swapping notes with Milo (the ex-Breitbart Milo, not the Descendents' Milo) right about now.

Maybe they'll relaunch the tour with Michelle-Shocked as the opener. That would certainly be plausible if not necessarily likely.

Reply To This Message

Re: R.I.P. (career-wise) PWR BTTM
Author: breno 
Date:   05-18-17 18:48

I never got around to checking them out for the silly reason of not being able to stand the whole N VWLS movement that has inexplicably taken hold of whatever modern rock is called these days. It makes be long for the days of when every other band was either a bear or a wolf.

So I wasn't particularly interested in ever checking them out. Now it appears that won't be an issue.

Anyhow, I haven't read up on this issue much, but I do hope the allegations against them are well-sourced enough to make the swift and definitive reaction the entire world has seemingly unleashed on them justified. It sure seemed to go from "alleged" to "convicted and banished" in record time. I'm going to assume there was some pretty iron clad evidence supporting the reaction.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   05-18-17 19:03

Meanwhile, The Chicago Cubs still use Gary Glitter's "Rock n Roll pt2" during games. (maybe other teams do, too, I just happened to attend a Cubs spring-training game this year).

Post Edited (05-19-17 00:33)

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   05-18-17 20:48

HEY! how about that.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   05-19-17 09:04

It does seem like the rush to condemnation was awfully swift. Though the band didn't help their own case much - instead of outright saying the claims were false and they'd be vindicated in court, they just gave a half-assed non-explanation and set up a hotline for fans to talk to them about it. Which seemed like a weird reaction. I think it probably sent the message that they were being cavalier about the whole situation, which was likely not the intent.

Reply To This Message

Author: zwirnm 
Date:   05-19-17 09:29

I think the rush to judgment was awfully swift, but since much of the band's fanbase was motivated by its highly public commitment to gender and sexual equality and liberation, it stands to reason that those fans would quickly abandon a band whose member is credibly accused of sexual assault.

I haven't heard anything from NPR's All Songs Considered, which has been huge PWR BTTM backers for several years. Wonder if Bob Boilen or Robin Hilton will take on the issue.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   05-19-17 11:35

Their career should be dead because their music is awful.

IMO, of course.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-19-17 11:39

They were all over SXSW this year, but I've yet to hear a note. I wasn't making any effort even before this incident.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-19-17 11:44

The band has finally issued a statement, denying any (intentional) wrongdoing.

Details.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org