Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Peter Hook and the Light
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   05-12-17 11:32

Opinions about Hook's Joy Division/New Order cover band? Just curious. I've got a pile of concert disks on my desk covering JD and NO albums in their entirety and am wondering if they'll be worth going through. What I've sampled online indicates a great, kickin' band and a terrible vocalist (Hooky himself?).

Reply To This Message

Re: Peter Hook and the Light
Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   05-12-17 11:37

I personally find the whole idea dubious. That said, I have not bothered to hear anything, and missed both of Hook's trips through my sleepy town. On purpose. Hell, I was not entirely convinced by god's own full-bore New Order the one time I saw them in '89.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   05-12-17 12:41

I have a friend who's a JD obsessive, and he had what I can only describe as a transcendent experience seeing Hooky and friends. I dunno...JD's music does nothing for me, so I certainly can't comment on the merits of Hook's band (that is, I have no idea if he's doing the music justice).

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   05-12-17 13:53

I'm with you, Zoo. I only ever has a 12 of LWTUA around '82-'85, but even that got dumped in the Great Vinyl Purge®. A friend who worked at Rhino sent me "Heart + Soul" the JD boxed set when it came out and I listened to it once, then sold it off. It just felt like more JD than I possibly could ever want, much less need. And Ian Curtis looked dyspeptic on the cover. I thought "maybe one day I'll get 'JD Substance' or 'Permanent."

I'm still waiting for that day.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   05-12-17 15:35

I'm a JD fan, for sure, but not an obsessive. I like a few of New Order's singles, but have never delved any further than what I heard on the radio or MTV. Makes me wonder if this band is fan service more than anything else. I guess I'm just gonna have to spin the darn things to find out.

Reply To This Message

Author: Five*Words 
Date:   05-13-17 00:43

I'm a JD fan and impulsively and curiously bought The Light's "1102 | 2011", with a big-voiced woman named Rowetta singing. Funny there's a concurrent "Joy Division and Karaoke..." thread here, b/c that's exactly what it sounded like.

While Hook has as much right as the the other Other Two to play those songs, it's seemed to me like some kind of weird (and not particularly effective) retribution exercise against Sumner and Morris for getting booted from New Order. It's probably just a means to an...er...make a living given all he (and the rest of them) pissed away over the years, but based on my one experience / purchase, I steer clear.

Post Edited (05-13-17 00:48)

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   05-15-17 10:43

Peter Hook does have as much right as anyone to play these songs. That said, when I saw New Order in the '80s, Hook's stage presence was pretty close to noxious. When he wasn't playing his bass, he stood with his arms folded, scowling and sneering at the fans. When he was playing, he'd stalk the edge of the stage, leaning out and occasionally spitting on people.

It's probably not fair to judge a performer on just one show. But everything I've read since then suggests that, yeah, he's really that much of an asshole. So I guess it's no surprise that Sumner and Morris would eventually give him the gate. As for his touring band, he's welcome to it, but he's not welcome to my money for a ticket.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org