Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 The Damned in Seattle
Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-18-17 11:21

The Damned gave a great set last Sunday at the Showbox -- not as much sheer fun as the show I saw in Denver in 2001, but still great. Dave Vanian apparently has injured his arm recently. He wore his arm in a sling -- a black one, naturally. He also didn't have his usual vampiric look, settling on a black dress shirt, black jeans and shades. Perhaps that look is a bit too complicated to achieve when you don't have the use of both arms.

Captain Sensible wore his usual red beret and colorful, mix-and-mismatch attire. The band was tight, and sounded great.

SETLIST:
Melody Lee
Generals
Disco Man
I Just Can't Be Happy Today
Alone Again Or
Love Song/Second Time Around
Machine Gun Etiquette
Street of Dreams
Eloise
Ignite
Stranger on the Town
Plan 9 Channel 7
Wait for the Blackout
The History of the World (Part 1
New Rose
Neat Neat Neat

ENCORE 1:
Jet Boy Jet Girl
Noise Noise Noise
Smash It Up

ENCORE 2:
White Rabbit
Anti-Pope

Opening act was an all-female quartet called Bleached. Fairly typical junior-league opener: plenty of rock attitude, but short on memorable tunes.

Reply To This Message

Re: The Damned in Seattle
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   04-18-17 12:16

No previews of the upcoming album, it looks like. Otherwise, what a setlist!

Both times I've seen the Damned Vanian was dressed as you described him, though he wore black gloves instead of sun glasses when I saw them on the Grave Disorder tour. Does he still do the vampire thing anymore?

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   04-18-17 12:17

Good stuff! Always a treat to see them.

> He also didn't have his usual vampiric look, settling on a
> black dress shirt, black jeans and shades.

I think Vanian has ditched that look now. Everytime I've seen him lately, he's done some variation on what you saw. I guess he might look too much like a vampire now, better to go with the aging gigolo theme.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   04-18-17 12:26

I'm seriously thinking about seeing them when they come to my neck of the woods in May. I saw them on the "Last Damned Tour" in 1989.

As for Vanian, I'm glad he ditched the butler-with-a-monocle look from a few years ago. That was a little nutty, and he can pull of a much cooler look than that.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-18-17 14:20

> I guess he might look too much like a vampire now, better to go with the aging gigolo theme.

That's a good way to describe it. With the gray in his goatee, he doesn't look much like a vampire in his own right. Personally, I've always thought he made that look (or any number of variations on it) work well for him. He wore a black velvet suit with blood-red vest, spats, hair slicked back and shades when I saw them on the Grave Disorder tour -- he looked great.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   04-18-17 14:37

Going to their show Friday night in StL. I was pretty happy to see that Bleached are opening, as I like them quite a bit.

Also found out that the Violent Femmes/Echo and the Bunnymen tour added a stop in St. Louis. It's at the damn amphitheater, which I have doubts is absolutely necessary - the Femmes didn't even sell out the mid-sized theater they played in last summer and I doubt the Bunnymen are that much bigger of a draw - but I guess the amphitheater had an open Saturday night in July and figured what the hell.

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   04-18-17 16:30

Does anyone know if the Bunnymen have Ian touring? Or is it replacement guy? Not that he is bad as I actually quite liked some stuff with him on board. I would like to see them again. Last time was a lifetime ago at Miami University in 1988. Only got to see the Femmes one time as well, 1986? Bogarts in Clifton Oh. Speaking of that place, Damned is there next Thursday. Should be a great show, set lists looking pretty good. I recommend Don't You Wish That We Were Dead if you are a fan. It is really well done for the most part.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-18-17 17:03

The Bunnymen are currently McCulloch, Sergeant and hired hands.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-22-17 02:17

Same setlist in St. Louis, except they swapped out "White Rabbit" for "Nasty" in the second encore, to which I say yay for us. "Jet Boy Jet Girl" got a nice little Chuck Berry intro from the Captain, who apparently was unaware StL was Chuck's hometown until he happened upon the Chuck statue up the street from the venue, which he thought was very cool.

I thought Vanian was looking quite Mandy Patinkin-ish.

The band (or at least the Captain) also seem to have spent their afternoon at the Museum of Transportation looking at old trains, apparently a major interest for them - it would pretty much have to be if they (or he) went to the trouble of getting there while in town for a day. It's not exactly well-known or easy to get to.

It's always interesting to me to find out what a band does with their spare time when in town on tour. I recall Patti Smith talking about visiting the grave of William S. Burroughs, then going to the Courtesy Diner to try the local delicacy The Slinger. (A burger, eggs and hash browns covered in chili and cheese. No, I don't know why Patti Smith wanted one.)

Post Edited (04-22-17 07:05)

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-24-17 12:42

breno wrote:

> The band (or at least the Captain) also seem to have spent
> their afternoon at the Museum of Transportation looking at old
> trains, apparently a major interest for them

Yes, Captain Sensible is a huge trainspotter. According to his postings on facebook, there are two things he does when touring - 1) look at trains and 2) try all sorts of vegetarian places.

I've said this before but he is a very entertaining writer.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-24-17 14:50

Quote:

then going to the Courtesy Diner to try the local delicacy The Slinger. (A burger, eggs and hash browns covered in chili and cheese. No, I don't know why Patti Smith wanted one.)

Umm...because it sounds absolutely delicious? To me at least!

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   04-27-17 23:56

what an absoluety wonderful concert review, Delvin.
i got a bit of sage advice to go along with it though, never let the smell of that show rub off.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-09-17 16:07

Just bought my ticket for this Fri night in Orlando. First concert I've been to since (ashamed to admit it's been so long) Midnight Oil in 2001! Been watching a bunch of videos from the tour online, and they look amazing. Can't wait!

Steve, are you coming as the other token Central FL TP'er?

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   05-09-17 21:47

Daaaamn zoo, is Orlando really such a cultural wasteland? Not even summer free concerts? Are there at least some smaller clubs in the area? You better take it easy Fri, dont want to give yourself a coronary, esp with a high-intensity band playing. Get there early! Take deep breaths! We will be expecting a report.

Post Edited (05-10-17 01:27)

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   05-10-17 09:03

Having lived in Orlando from 1972-2001, I can attest that it is indeed a cultural wasteland. I finally attended my first rock concert when Joe Jackson was on tour for "Night + Day" and I was not a huge Joe Jackson fan, but you had to work with what you got! British bands I liked only made their way to Central Florida by the late 80s, by which time it was usually too late [see: Simple Minds, Psychedelic Furs, etc.] Only in the 90s when I hipped into the great garage punk local scene [Hate Bombs, Exotic Aarontones, Psycho From Texas, Potential Frenzy] in Orlando did I really start to enjoy a plethora of live music. Not much with synthesizers though. Sigh. My heart goes out to anyone still in Boreblando.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-10-17 10:19

People who've never spent time in Florida might not grasp how big the state is, at least in terms of highway miles to be covered. For a band to book touring dates down in the peninsula (which includes Orlando, Miami and Tampa, just to name three cities) involves a lot of ground travel. They'll reach some very grateful fans, true, but it'll come at significant expense. That's probably the biggest reason why the music scenes in those cities have remained mostly home-grown. Up in the Florida panhandle, Pensacola gets a lot more big-name shows.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-10-17 10:47

A couple of weeks ago I flew down to Sarasota, where a friend had a car needing to be driven back to the St. Louis area. Sarasota is about halfway down the peninsula and it still took me about five hours or so to get to the Georgia state line. I was kind of surprised to learn that it's longer to get from Sarasota to Athens, GA (where I took a slight detour to visit and also to avoid Atlanta as much as possible. I seed the REM church steeple and everything!) than it is to get from St. Louis to Cleveland. America is definitely hung like Dirk Diggler.

Anyhow, back to the Damned - the Captain fell off the stage a week or two ago and broke a rib and is spending the rest of the tour playing sitting down, I think from a toilet they're now lugging around with them for that purpose - at least that's how he played one show a couple of nights ago.

So if Vanian's arm is still in a sling and the Captain is playing seated on a toilet, the remaining shows will be interesting. I guess this is what happens when geezers head out on the road.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-10-17 10:53

Texas has the same problem. I've had numerous musicians tell me the state is just too big and it takes too long to get to any significant cities to make the trek worth it, unless you're a big name.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   05-10-17 11:45

Oh fergit Tejas! I have painful memories of driving across the state as a child moving back and forth between L.A. and Florida. It too two days to traverse Texas! I will never drive in that state. I recently drove across North Carolina. Not as bad as I was expecting.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-10-17 11:52

Being stuck in the middle of the midwest, I can sympathize. Tours swing through the upper midwest and hit Detroit, Chicago, Madison and Minneapolis, but generally skip dipping down to StL. Then to get down south, they'll loop through Denver and then maybe throw in Kansas City on the way to Nashville or a Texas destination and skip the Lou a second time.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-10-17 12:03

My wife and I drove across Texas, returning to CO from our honeymoon. After that drive, we swore we'd never again make that trip through Texas unless we actually were moving. We kept that promise for nearly 20 years, until we drove to Alabama (via St Louis) to visit her family at Christmas, and my mother-in-law kinda guilted us into a return trip through Fort Worth: "Aunt Beverly would just love to see you, it's been so long ..."

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-10-17 12:40

Texas has parts that are quite beautiful and make for a nice drive, but then they'll be immediately followed by desolate stretches that looks like scenes from a post-apocalyptic sci-fi flick. Try driving from Austin to Fort Stockton sometime - you can go three hours between towns, so make sure your gas tank is full and your bladder empty.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-10-17 13:20

MrFab wrote:

> Daaaamn zoo, is Orlando really such a cultural wasteland? Not
> even summer free concerts? Are there at least some smaller
> clubs in the area? You better take it easy Fri, dont want to
> give yourself a coronary, esp with a high-intensity band
> playing. Get there early! Take deep breaths! We will be
> expecting a report.
>

Haha...I think my heart is up to it. I saw them live in '89, so I know what to expect. I live in Tampa, BTW, and The Damned are playing Sat night in St. Pete, but I'm otherwise engaged. So, Orlando it is (technically it's in Lake Buena Vista which is near Disney, so that's not quite the heart of Orlando). I'm a bit surprised they're playing both Orlando and St. Pete, but I'm not complaining.

Oh, and if Vanian was injured earlier, now Sensible is. He fell off the stage a broke a rib not too long ago. There's a pic on their website of him sitting on a giant toilet. Better than just a stool, I suppose...that'd be too Robert Fripp-sh.

I just wish some other UK artists would make their way down to FL (Paul Weller, I'm talking to you!).

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-10-17 14:20

When we saw Joe Jackson on the Volume 4 Tour, with his reunited '70s band, Gary Sanford was seated on a tall rolling chair, with a cast on his foot and lower leg. Joe told the audience that the guitarist recently had injured himself "in a bizarre gardening incident." All the same, Sanford was pretty close to irrepressible that night. Even seated, he covered more of that stage than his three bandmates combined.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-11-17 12:57

zoo wrote:

> I just wish some other UK artists would make their way down to
> FL (Paul Weller, I'm talking to you!).

Funny you should write that. I read an interview with Waller and he said that when he tours, he likes to play in the out of the way places of which I would say Florida qualifies but I guess he's only speaking about England because on his latest tour he's only sticking to the standard places.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-11-17 13:17

Well, in fairness, he is playing Sacramento on this upcoming tour, so maybe that fills his "out of the way" quota for this jaunt around North America.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-11-17 14:00

Well, I was certainly speaking of FL specifically in regard to Weller. I've been a big fan of his since the early '90s, and I can tell you that if he played a gig anywhere within the state boundaries, I would have been there. It hasn't happened...and neither of us are getting any younger.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-11-17 17:33

zoo, whaddaya mean, 'the other...', ain't you from ft la dee da? if so, i might even know ya. i went to hollywood h.c.

p.s. yes i'm going, are the DAMNED coming?

do they have a good van?
let's you and me at least meet up there.

man, i'm prom night stoked.

Post Edited (05-11-17 17:48)

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-12-17 12:48

Steve, I grew up in Miami but I've lived in Tampa since '94.

Well, if you're serious (can't quite tell from your post), I'm wearing a maroon polo and jeans. And I have bright blue stitches over my right eye from being hit with a baseball. It looks pretty cool, IMO.

Reply To This Message

Re: The Damned in Orlando
Date:   05-14-17 16:59

The Damned were amazing Fri night at the House of Blues in Lake Buena Vista (on Disney property, a fact which didn't escape the band, and they made multiple jokes about it). Captain was still recovering from his broken rib and sat on his "throne" throughout the show. He was still highly energetic and entertaining, and his unfortunate situation did nothing to detract from the show. At one point he made a "bring me a drink" gesture and his guitar tech responded by opening the lid to the toilet tank and bringing out a beer. Mid-song, no less. He was in obvious pain as he climbed down from the platform, but the crowd cheered him on and gave a thumbs up each time.

Vanian seemed in great spirits and proved that he is still a top notch showman. He moved and sounded as good if not better than when I saw The Damned in 1989. His arm was out of the sling, but a few times I noticed he moved it around and winced a little. I'm not digging the beard too much, but he otherwise looked great in his black clothes and sunglasses.

The rest of the band were tight, and as a whole seemed like they were having a great time. At the end, Vanian said "Wow, that a lot of fun!" and was all smiles. I had to agree...it was just pure enjoyment from beginning to end. Somehow Captain Sensible got on a rant about wanting to kick Phil Collins' ass, and I guess he thought it was pretty amusing because he mentioned it a few times.

The main set list was the same Delvin posted for Seattle, but the encore included "Nasty" (instead of "White Rabbit," thank goodness) and added "Fan Club," so we got one more song.

The Bellrays opened. If you don't know (and I didn't before they came on), they're 3 white guys who look to be in their 40s, and an African-American female singer with a powerhouse voice. After each song, she would shout "rock show" over and over, which was kind of amusing. Anyway, they put on a great show...high energy rock and roll. The drummer was really good, and I liked the guitarist a lot. Being that I had zero expectations, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed them.

All in all a great night. I couldn't have been more pleased for my first concert in 17 yrs. I hope it's not that long of a wait before the next one. It's been a lengthy tour for The Damned, and I was a little worried they might just go through the motions, but boy was I wrong. What a bunch of pros.

Reply To This Message

Re: The Damned in Orlando
Author: MrFab 
Date:   05-14-17 19:18

Right on!

Not sure if ive mentioned the Bellrays here before, but yes they do indeed kick all kinds of butt. Havent seen 'em in ages so glad theyre still around. The whole Aretha-meets-MC5 concept seemed so obvious after i discovered 'em its a wonder that no one had thought of it before.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-14-17 20:55

i feel your excitement, i really do.
but florida is so HOT right now the band should bring fans instead of speakers.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-15-17 10:37

Fabulous! I've seen the BellRays -- a powerhouse act indeed. Why they're still an opening act is beyond me.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-15-17 11:37

The BellRays do plenty of headlining tours in Europe, and they used to do club tours here. But it's just not worth it financially for them to tour their own country unless they're supporting a bigger act. (And kudos to the Damned for taking them along.) Their last album Black Lightning wasn't even released here, I don't think.

I've known this band in varying degrees since I interviewed them in the late 90s, when they did a killer SXSW show with fellow travelers The Streetwalkin' Cheetahs and Wayne Kramer. (I interviewed the Cheetahs and Kramer as well, for a Pop Culture Press story we loosely referred to as "Children of the MC5.") There's been a lot of turmoil within its ranks, and a lot of shots at success that just never hit the mark in the States, for whatever reason*. But they still plug away, and pick-a-deity bless 'em for it.

Zoo, I highly recommend the albums the BellRays recorded when guitarist/songwriter Tony Fate was still in the band: Let It Blast, Grand Fury, The Red, White and Black and Have a Little Faith are all pretty great. The ones without Fate are also good, just different.

*The cynical part of me wonders if it's because of a powerful black woman fronting a rock & roll band, instead of being a sex kitten in front of some R&B producer's constructs.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-18-17 23:12

dang it zoo, i didn't realize it was last sunday. i thought i had more time to look it up and get back to you.. i was laying paver stones out front all that day. wish i was with you.

that's a wonderful concert review you did there, you're first show after 17 years. dammit man, that reminds me to finish up this old house up and take the fan club president out more.

i moved to highlands county (where 8,000 acres of yeehaw junction scrub are burning right now)in '04, after leaving pb county, where i saw my last concert that year. Cheap Trick at the Carefree (a fantasma production!) Theater. i swear to all that is holy, the band played with so much verve that night, that i witnessed the separation of the theater's early 1950's art deco plaster roof from the block columns that held it up that night. that was 13 years ago?

at least one of us was able to break out of the slump. feel free to email me anytime zoo, and maybe with some luck we can meet up for the next one.

Post Edited (05-18-17 23:48)

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-19-17 14:45

Good on ya, Steve. I certainly don't want to wait another 17. It's a bit of a hike for you to the HOB Orlando, but not too bad. It's about 90 mins for me, but it was certainly worth the drive last Fri night.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-21-17 21:27

with no a/c mate, but i reckon the better bands play in cleawater/st pete.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org