Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 What this song really needs is ME
Author: breno 
Date:   03-16-12 09:43

Songs in which the backing vocals of the producer are noticeably audible:

"The Great Curve" - Talking Heads (Brian Eno)
"Lemon" - U2 (Brian Eno)
"One Time One Night" - Los Lobos (T Bone Burnett)

I had a much longer list last night when I was mulling it over before I went to sleep, but now I don't remember the rest of them.

Reply To This Message

Re: What this song really needs is ME
Author: zoo 
Date:   03-16-12 11:01

"Tempted" - Squeeze (Elvis Costello)

That's all I've got off the top of my head

Post Edited (03-16-12 11:01)

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   03-16-12 11:42

"The Glamorous Life" Sheila E. (Prince)
"Release It" The Time (ditto)

Actually, lots of Prince productions feature his vocals, to varying degrees of identifiability. Those two songs are just the most obvious examples that come to mind. (If any producer embodies the sentiment that Reno captured in the subject line of this thread ...)

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   03-16-12 12:26

The Crystals - "(Let's Dance) The Screw" [Phil Spector]

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-16-17 20:45

"Funtime" - Iggy Pop (David Bowie)

I still don't remember the rest of the long list I claimed to have in the first post of this old thread. I suspect that was one of those stunning insights one gets right before they fall asleep, which morning reveals to have been a load of crap.

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-17-17 13:18

Probly any number of songs from "Remain in Light." Pretty sure thats Bri-Bri on the chorus of "Once in a Lifetime."

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-17-17 14:42

My brother was convinced that the narrator's ideal face described in "Seen and Not Seen" on Remain in Light was actually Eno's, but looking at the lyrics, "A larger forehead" is really the only detail that sounds like Eno. He doesn't have a hooked nose, beady eyes or a wide, thin mouth. But he definitely had the big forehead.

It doesn't sound like Byrne, either, which had been my guess as to what David Byrne's description of a face to strive for would be.

It does pretty much exactly match JK Rowlings' description of Severus Snape in the Harry Potter books, for what it's worth. (Which is nothing.)

Post Edited (03-17-17 14:58)

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   03-17-17 15:15

I can't think of the exact songs (there are more than one), but J. Mascis is all over fIREHOSE's Mr. Machinery Operator...including his guitar playing on at least one song.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   03-19-17 10:19

"Grow Wild" - Hugo Largo (Michael Stipe)

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-28-17 22:53

"Gloria In Transit" - Shalini (Mitch Easter)

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   04-30-17 09:41

This thread really reminds me of the fact that for indie/punk/alternative, there really isn't that much of a "_____" by Artist (ft. Another Artist) which is so pervasive in hip-hop/r&b/Top 40 lately.

Case in point: [any song] by Kendrick Lamar ft. (literally everyone, even U2), [any song] by Gorillaz ft. (literally everyone, even Mavis Staples.)

There are full-project collabs like Ted Leo & Aimee Mann, etc., but it's really not too often you see something like [song] by CHVRCHES ft. J. Mascis, or [song] by Frightened Rabbit ft. Imelda May, or [song] by Car Seat Headrest ft. Mac DeMarco. Yes, there are occasional one-offs at live shows, but recorded as such....it's really not that common.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-30-17 23:44

Interesting point BCE. I think thats because rock is made on old-fashioned live instruments, and those other styles are electronic: bits of studio-created data. Rock is played by people together in a room, and it's easier to get bits of info together than people together in a room, esp. if they don't live in the same city. I used to make electronic-y thingies, and I did some with collaborators I never met, people on the opposite coast, or in the UK.

Reply To This Message

Author: zwirnm 
Date:   05-01-17 08:57

The [ft.] language is atypical in rock but standard in dance music and rap, where you can trade beats or bars or hooks through file sharing. I can think of lots of one-off collaborations in rock, but it's highly unusual to list the song credit including the collaborator. I wonder if there is a revenue-sharing issue involved as well; in addition to the songwriting credits there are the performance credits to be allocated out (BMI/ASCAP, etc.)

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org