Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Modern English last night
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   03-15-17 15:58

In case anyone's curious as to what last night's SXSW Modern English show was like, at least to me:

Austin Chronicle review

I was standing with an old friend who's been a major fan since he first saw the band back in high school, and he left about 3 songs in.

I bought a copy of After the Snow and drove around listening to it, under the assumption that it would form the bulk of the set. They played one song from it (the hit). Looking at Setlist.fm, that's their regular M.O. - the first album seems to form the heart of their live show.

Reply To This Message

Re: Modern English last night
Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   03-15-17 23:43

Modern English and The Vapors.

I can name one song by each.

Reply To This Message

Author: Philippe 
Date:   03-16-17 10:04

I remember an interview from the early 1980s in which the band stated they always liked Mesh & Lace better than After the Snow and that the latter was the result of record company pressure to sound more "new wavy" and produce a hit. It worked in that sense, but it pushed the band away from what it felt was its core sound, alienated its original fans, and turned them into the proverbial one-hit wonders who could not play the type of music they actually liked.

Apart from the problems outlined in the review, it's sad that 30 years later, they would still feel the pressure of playing the album they never liked in the first place. Of course, without the royalties and name recognition from the hit, they probably wouldn't be able to tour today, so it's a catch-22.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   03-16-17 12:33

I guess for them "it was always… Mesh + Lace." But not for me. I bought that album and quickly sold it off!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   03-16-17 13:37

> Modern English and The Vapors.
>
> I can name one song by each.

Tune in Monday night, Kay, and double your in-depth knowledge of BOTH bands!

Honestly, I don't see how you can turn this down.

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   03-16-17 16:28

Melt with You certainly became ubiquitous over time, but still associate it with Valley Girl which I love both the movie and soundtracks. But there are a couple other songs on After the Snow that always struck a chord with me. Someone's Calling is a cool track. Also Dawn Chorus. In the late 80's I was still prone for making mix tapes and one particular rainy Saturday made a killer one for rainy days. It had Dawn Chorus - ME, Camera - REM, Paris Match - Style Council, That Joke Isnt Funny - Smiths, A Reflection/Play for Today - Cure, You Did Cut Me - China Crisis several choice cuts from Treasure - Cocteau Twins mixed in here and there, and some I just can't recall off my head. I wore the thing out but still have it somewhere I am sure. Made a little insert for it from magazines around the house and cut letters out to name it, yep I may have been a little high.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   03-16-17 21:55

The best song of the night was "Gathering Dust," from their first album. But I think they're selling Snow short. It's a fine postpunk album. "Melt" is an anomaly even there.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   03-17-17 15:09

I think After The Snow is a fine album. I certainly enjoy it better than Mesh and Lace. "I Melt With You" was the hit, but as it's been said before, even that song was an outlier...on an album the band felt was an outlier. How odd is that.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   03-19-17 19:22

Quote:

Honestly, I don't see how you can turn this down.

Umm ... the volume knob?

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org