Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 would it kill 'em to keep it in?
Author: nosepail 
Date:   03-01-17 12:52

http://pitchfork.com/news/71990-ford-kills-cd-player-in-new-car-replaces-with-streaming-device/?mbid=homepage-more-latest-and-video

Reply To This Message

Re: would it kill 'em to keep it in?
Author: breno 
Date:   03-01-17 14:47

I've generally found that trying to cue up an album on an iPod is much more dangerous while driving than popping a disc in or out of the player (or even a cassette, for that matter) has ever been.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   03-01-17 15:45

I am much more likely to trust a man with a front passenger seat full of scratched CDs than a yuppy streaming his rock.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   03-01-17 16:28

Agree with Reno. The times I've tried to cue up streaming audio in a rental car, it's proven too complicated to execute while driving. Give me a few CDs or cassettes in the car any day.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   03-01-17 18:17

This is one more nail in the coffin of CDs. If cars aren't going to have disk players, fewer record companies will want to bother manufacturing them.

Reply To This Message

Author: zwirnm 
Date:   03-01-17 23:56

Wow, that's a big blow ... and honestly while I listen to MP3s, podcasts, streaming, and vinyl, the preponderance of my collection is CDs. I love having the wall of discs to grab a stack of on the way to the car before a big road trip ... and I love telling my son to pick some on the basis of funny names or artwork. Can't do that with streaming services.

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   03-02-17 14:42

Quick funny,

A couple years ago there were a rash of car break ins in my town. Well they hit us one night. Took my wife's GPS, some change etc. They took several of my wife's CD's from her console - country nonsense like Rascal Flatts, Reba and many others. I know they looked though my console in my truck as they left it open. However they left all of my CD's lol. In there I had Felt Gold Mine Trash, King Diamond Greatest Hits, VU Loaded, English Beat What is Beat, Cocteau Twins Treasure, Stone Roses and many other alt standard bearers. I frankly just still enjoy listening to them on CD in my truck vs ripping or streaming. My wife thought the thieves had great taste, I was thankful that they most certainly did not!!!

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   03-02-17 17:33

The same sort of thing happened to me. The thieves stole my stereo/CD player, but left my CDs.

I must say, they did such a neat, efficient job -- with so little damage to the truck -- that I didn't even realize I'd been robbed until I reached to turn the radio on.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org