Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Crimson Tour Dates
Author: breno 
Date:   02-22-17 16:34

http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/02/king-crimson-announce-us-tour-dates-and-theyre-bringing-along-four-drummers/

Closest to me is Chicago, on a Wednesday night. Which means I'd have to use two vacation days to go to it. I'll have to study on that.

Reply To This Message

Re: Crimson Tour Dates
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   02-22-17 16:36

Damn damn double damn - they're skipping Austin. Hell, they're skipping Texas. Drummer Pat Mastelotto lives in Austin, and the band has played here before to rapturous reception. (We tried to get them on the show, but the timing didn't work out. Still dreaming.) Not sure why they're not visiting us again.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-22-17 16:58

The Monk appears to be getting screwed over by this schedule, also, which sucks.

Delvin, Erik and Fab can let us know how it is.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   02-22-17 18:53

4 drummers?! Intriguing. But I guess I missed Belew and Brufurd for good, eh?

I saw Fripp back in '89 or so with his League of Crafty Guitarists. Which featured 0 drummers.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   02-23-17 08:46

Double screwed, Breno!

Why the hell,
why the hell,
why the hell,
why the hell!
Why in god's name did I sign up for the Crimson mailing list?

Why the hell,
why the hell,
why the hell,
why the hell!
They did not send these tourdates to me and now I am very pissed!

Seriously! I signed up to the DGM website specifically to receive these horrifying dates in my inbox at the earliest possible time. Not to have to attempt to read them at the web design fustercluck that is CoS! And then an almost total pass of the East Coast hurts! Asheville has always been Crimson Territory. When I moved here in 2001 I never saw Crimson bins so thick with product at music stores in all my life.

[checks DGM]

QUOTE>>> King Crimson’s 2017 touring will be mostly in the US, beginning in Seattle and down the West Coast during early June to July; continuing to the East Coast in the Autumn. <<< UNQUOTE - Robert Fripp.

A grateful nation breathes a sigh of relief! One hopes that the forthcoming Fall dates will deliver for the rest of us. I could fly to Chicago, but that's be$t avoided.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Post Edited (02-23-17 09:05)

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   02-23-17 12:20

I agree with PPM. No New York City date makes me think that they have an East Coast swing coming.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   02-23-17 14:16

I love me some KC, but this line up does not excite me. Based on a few of the videos I've seen online, Jakko does nothing for me as a singer. Call me stubborn, but without Belew playing the foil, I'm non-plussed.

The presence of Gavin Harrison is a plus, but he's just one of FOUR drummers. Why pray tell, when you have the greatness of Gavin Harrison, does any other drummer need to set foot on the stage?

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   02-23-17 15:39

Well, I saw Belew and Bruford in '94. Belew sans Bruford in 2001, 2003. Those memories will suffice. What I'm interested in seeing is Mel ["Lizard"] Collins in the fold for the first time since 1970! And that lineup never toured!! The set lists they are playing now include a lot of Crimson material that simply didn't exist in the Belew years: "Circus," "Pictures Of A City," "Epitaph," "Easy Money," "Lark's Tongues In Aspic I," "In The Court Of the Crimson King," "Starless." Bring 'em on!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   02-23-17 17:15

I'm with Zoo on this one. Sure, Crimson has long amounted to whatever lineup Fripp says it is, but this one just doesn't work for me. I saw the Fripp/Bruford/Belew/Levin lineup in the '80s, and the "double trio" in the '90s. Bruford and Mastelotto together were awesome. But four drummers? I'm good, thanks.

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   07-14-17 09:18

... and here is the fall tour info.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-14-17 09:31

They're hitting Raleigh, Atlanta and DC, so that ought to give the Monk an option, so I'm happy about that.

I'm still screwed. Closest they're coming to me is Milwaukee. Which isn't out of the question, though committing to head north any time between late November to early March is something I generally try to shy away from. Nothing like driving seven hours in an ice storm.

Did everyone else see the news that Adrian Belew, Stewart Copeland, Mark King from Level 42 and one Vittorio Cosma have formed a band called Gizmodrome?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/stewart-copeland-adrian-belew-more-form-supergroup-gizmodrome-announce-self-titled-debut-album/

Looks like Cosma is a sometime member of PFM.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-14-17 10:47

Holy shit, they're coming to Austin. (So Pat Mastelotto can sleep in his own bed for a night, I guess.)

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   07-14-17 13:27

So, I interrupted listening to Wire to check out that Gizmodrome track. Bad move. I was really hoping to like it...but the vocals are as horrendous as the music is intriguing. That makes it a wash. Wish Belew was singing (or Mark King for that matter)...either are better than the Italian dude. I'll give the album a listen on Spotify when it comes out...hope there is better signing because the music seems like it could be quite fascinating.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-14-17 14:04

Cosma certainly enjoys rolling his rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-14-17 15:27

I saw a news item about Gizmodrome a month or so back with a sample track, and had the same reaction. Maybe they take turns singing on the record.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org