Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Car Seat Headrest
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   11-07-16 22:13

Thoughts?

Reply To This Message

Re: Car Seat Headrest
Author: zwirnm 
Date:   11-07-16 23:08

Some folks say they are (he is) some kind of savior of rock songwriting. I like what I have heard so far, but I guess I'm not yet seeing genius at work.

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   11-08-16 06:01

Didn't really click for me until Teens of Denial - I had been tipped to him before that but just found it amateurish- a bunch of jumbled (though some very good) ideas.

Teens of Denial is the first time it's been coherent to me, the well recorded band approach not only makes it easier to "get" - it does wonders for his songs. Still even with that, the album kind of wears me out, I never play it all the way through even though it is strong all the way through.

Might be his voice or the way the songs are structured, but there's some of the best music of 2016 on it, he's a real talent.

Reply To This Message

Date:   11-08-16 10:37

I'm always skeptical about "savior" of anything laudits. I tend to ignore them, frankly.

I listened to part of the hit "Drunk Driving" or whatever it's called, and wasn't impressed. But I gave up before it was even halfway through. But CSH played at this year's inaugural Sound On Sound Festival. I missed them, but heard from a few of my colleagues (ranging in age from 51 to 24) about what a good rock & roll show it was. "Rock & roll" is not what I heard in that excerpt from the hit, so it made me wonder if I was missing something.

I spun the first album and about half the second (only because I was interrupted) yesterday. It seemed very song-focused and touched on a lot of alternative rock/college rock sounds I've always loved. I'm not sure what I think of the guy's voice - sometimes it seemed to fit the song perfectly and other times it was fairly annoying, which is a problem I have with about 90% of the indie rock released in the last decade. But he's definitely got something as a songwriter. I intend to listen further.

The 24-year-old, by the way, told me that the first time she heard CSH, she thought he was singing the thoughts in her head. So my initial reluctance may have been an age thing as well - I'm literally not his audience.

Oh, and I think the line "You have no right to be depressed/You haven't tried hard enough to like it" is hilarious.

Post Edited (11-08-16 10:39)

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   11-08-16 14:09

I love them. Saw them live in New York last month and they blew me away. They rock much harder live then on album. The singer is an exciting lyricist, in my opinion (I would say he speaks to me also) even if his Johnathan Richman mumble gets a little rough sometimes.

Teens of Denial is a wonderful record which grows and unfolds with each listen. Each song has character. Drunk Driving, Cosmic Hero, Fill in the Blank, and Friends With Drugs are 4 of the greatest songs of 2016. I went through and listened to their/his 10+ bandcamp albums. There are nuggets of goodness in there, but I think for most people Teens of Denial is the record to own.

Post Edited (11-09-16 10:36)

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   11-08-16 15:06

I've not listened to them nearly enough, but I've really enjoyed what I've heard.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   11-08-16 16:55

Well, shit - I'd written them off because of the ridiculous band name, but it sounds like I should give 'em a listen.

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   11-08-16 19:29

More than a little surprised nobody has mentioned this yet:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7370345/car-seat-headrest-recalls-albums-ric-ocasek-cars

(It won't necessarily sway anyone's opinion, but I would have loved to see this gone to trail -- and see the courts rule for Matador/CSH.)

Reply To This Message

Author: upper90 
Date:   11-15-16 14:56

I found a copy of the original CD via a guy on ebay for 11.99. Unopened. It has the Cars track in question, not even close to being the best song on the CD so not sure what the hoopla was about. Not sure where the guy got the copy, must have worked/owned a record store or maybe worked at a radio station that got one of the advance copies. There can't be many that exist, especially if they truly burned the recalled copies. His ad had a May release date when in fact the date got pushed back to July. So I took a flier and low and behold. I doubt if it will ever be valuable but you never know. I was going to leave it unopened but could not resist at least one listen on my Sony boom box before ripping to my Prime collection.

I will have to say it is pretty good guitar oriented indie rock. I really like it. Little Beck, little Pavement, Pixies, GBV and many other influences, even Weezer I guess. Some of the guitar work reminds me of Dean Wareham and Luna in spots.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-04-17 16:01

I have now been assigned to cover the CSH set at this weekend's ACL Music Festival, so I'll be finding out for myself. I'm looking forward to it, actually.

I've also been assigned to the Lemon Twigs the day before. The couple of songs I've heard by them have annoyed me. Hopefully they'll be better live.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org