Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Mere-Pseud-Brush-Non-Greatness
Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   12-15-10 17:50

I spoke to a Mr. Smith today, oh boy!

Not just Mr. Smith. That isn't special.
Not just Mark Smith. Although that would be amusing.
No. I talked to a man named Mark E. Smith today.

I laughed before I could stifle the reaction, but suspect that it didn't register with the client. He said nothing. He wasn't an Englishman, nor did he have any apparent vocal mannerisms. It was just some other Mark E. Smith.

I really wanted to close the call with "HAVE A NICE DAY-Ahhhhh!"

I wonder if he'd have had even a clue about it all?

It made my day. Ever run into this sort of thing? Is your boss named Bono or Beefheart?

Reply To This Message

Re: Mere-Pseud-Brush-Non-Greatness
Author: MrFab 
Date:   12-15-10 18:17

I have two coworkers named (first names, mind you) Nixon and Lenin. Don't know if they're in the same department.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   12-15-10 19:38

Hollow, if you have the man's address, you should at least mail him some pictures and articles of his namesake just, if for no other reason, to give him something to aspire to.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   12-15-10 21:57

At my job, I occasionally have to deal with a fellow named Rick James. I've avoided the Dave Chappelle line ... or, frankly, any other reference to the late funk musician. (From what I've seen, this guy at work has very little sense of humor.)

Oh, and my boss's name is K.C. Jones.

As you can guess, I've never had to face this sort of thing myself.

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-15-10 21:59

Actually, I take that back. Apparently there's a blatant plagiarist on this board, who's not only stealing my reviews, but my last name as well. If I find this David guy, I'ma whip his ass.

Post Edited (12-16-10 11:15)

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   12-15-10 23:11

This is remindng me of the Michael Bolton character in Office Space.

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-16-10 02:29

"I told those fudge-packers that I like Mark E. Smith's music. God."

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   12-16-10 09:30

I went to high school with a kid named Jimmy Hendrix.

I play softball with a guy named Joseph McCarthy, though he goes by Jay (can't say I blame him).

There's a local car dealership called Bill Currie Ford, but I doubt the old guy listens to Ultravox.

That's all I got at the moment.

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-16-10 10:06

We have a new senior executive here who goes by Willie Nelson.

I also work frequently with a guy named Neal Young.

Oh, and jeez, how could I have forgotten one of my closest buddies ... Steve Miller.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   12-16-10 16:26

del,I know a white rodney king who needs his assed whipped...

Post Edited (12-16-10 16:29)

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-17-10 10:36

> This is remindng me of the Michael Bolton character in Office Space.

"Why should I change my name-ahhh? He's the one who sucks!! No-talent ass-clown-ahhh!!"

Reply To This Message

Author: blasmo 
Date:   12-17-10 18:53

My name's David Murphy. In the 90's, when I was playing in a band that deconstructed pop country and western tunes, there was a pretty successful Garth Brooks wannbe named David Lee Murphy. A couple of club owners saw my name on the contact list and somehow, even though I look nothing like him, thought I might be him. I wasn't.

Reply To This Message

Author: rebelwithoutaclue 
Date:   12-17-10 22:39

here are a few

1. my grandfather is named robert gordon-went to a robert gordon concert and had him autograph a photo to robert gordon from robert gordon which my almost 80 year old grandfather hung up in his office
2. went to school with people named al green- called this nerdy white guy reverend.
3. robbie robertson- who played guitar and we played a session together when we were about 18. he played tasteless n souless metal and i told him he is the anti robbie robertson and we almost came to blows.
4.had a customer named maurice miller- figure out the combo
5. guy on my block sold plants whos name was robert- figure it out yourself
6. customers name was robert zimmerman
7wish i had a tailor named james but im working on it

Reply To This Message

Date:   12-18-10 11:37

Not music-related, but while we're at it ...

When I started with my current employer, I worked with a guy named David Bacon.

The company before that, there was a guy in the security department named David Lamb.

And the company before that, I worked with a software programmer named David Ham.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-20-12 23:03

A year and a half later, this thread gets a new jolt of life!

I'm in the middle of my relocation to Seattle. (In fact, I'm currently online at a Starbucks in Missoula, Montana.) My furniture and household belongings were packed and loaded up this week.

The guy responsible for verifying and submitting the inventory on those items was John Foxx. (Yep, with two x's; I checked the bill of lading.)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-20-12 23:51

I used to play softball with a guy named Jon Foxx...forgot about him the first go-around w/ this thread.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   07-20-12 23:57

del,
me and the zoo are keeping florida open all night, just to let ya know you got friends here. So good luck in seattle (two tees). moving is hard but its healthy. most people never move beyond fifty miles from where they were born. this relocation shows that you are a man of character and courage.

ps-i only wish i was there to give you a hand loading/unloading your albums.

Post Edited (07-21-12 00:33)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-23-12 10:41

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes, Steve.

I grew up in a military family, so I know plenty about moving. Granted, it's been a long time since my last move, but I've gotten way more than fifty miles from my birthplace!

This relo has had its difficult side, but it's exciting. And everything about it (the job offer, buying a new house, selling the old one, job prospects for my wife) has come together smoothly.

As for character and courage -- well, the alternative was to stay in Colorado and be unemployed. So this wasn't such a tough decision. (It's not as if my company moved me to some crappy place.)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-25-12 22:00

I spoke to a Daniel Johnston today. No lie.

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   07-26-12 06:45

There are actually two people named Chris Martin at my company (different locations).

I use it as a metaphor for work not only being Hell but double Hell with a bad soundtrack.

Post Edited (07-26-12 12:18)

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-26-12 10:26

Maybe one of them is the Coldplay singer, and the other is DJ Premier from Gang Starr. That seems as if it'd be a fair balance.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-27-12 11:01

Here at my new gig, I work with a guy named Bruce Dickinson. A couple weeks ago, the singer from Iron Maiden visited Boeing, met his namesake, and manned the controls in the flight simulator. The singer actually is a licensed commercial pilot in the UK.

If you're interested, you can read about his visit here. It's obviously a PR-heavy story, but it's still pretty cool.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-27-12 15:49

Quote:

couple weeks ago, the singer from Iron Maiden visited Boeing, met his namesake, and manned the controls in the flight simulator. The singer actually is a licensed commercial pilot in the UK.

"Good afternoon, my name is Bruce and I'll be your pilot on your flight from Wigan to Kansas City and all connecting points in the United States. Today we'll be cruising at an altitu-- Rolling! Turning! Diving! ... Rolling! Turning! Diving! Doing it again! Rolling! Turning! Diving! Rolling, Turning! Diving!

Sorry about that, ladies and gentlemen. Now. Where was I? Oh yes. I'd ask that you please stay seated until I've turned off the appropriate lights. At that point you'll be free to move around the cab--Rolling! Turning! Diving! ... Rolling! Turning! Diving! Doing it again! Rolling! Turning! Diving! Rolling, Turning! Diving!

Whatever. Sod it. Hold on."

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-27-12 16:26

Wow, I hadn't realized Bruce Dickinson was the pilot on a flight I made to Seattle recently. Jeez, but that was a rough landing.

Reply To This Message

Author: madisdadi 
Date:   08-27-12 16:30

calling Bob Seger in IT right now.

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-08-17 15:30

A new life for this thread! Gotta love it.

I was in a meeting with my director at work, suggesting a way to improve service to my department's customers. He was all for it, and told me, "There's two guys you gotta speak to, to get this ball rolling: James Taylor, and Phil Collins."

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   03-08-17 15:34

I always thought that Bill Currie Ford was just a little, you know, portfolio diversification for the synth wrangler's golden years!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   03-08-17 16:12

I just found this topic and realized that I had attended Don Johnson's wedding… in Vegas, 21 years ago!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-10-17 11:29

I just received an invitation for a meeting with a new employee named Tom Thayer, who I presume is not the guitarist for KISS. However, I might get lucky and he'll show up in Spaceman suit and make-up...but I doubt it.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org