Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 RIP - Greg Ham
Author: Aitch 
Date:   04-19-12 09:52

Flautist for Men At Work & the guy responsible for THAT riff was found dead in his home today. Cause of death yet to be determined.

Reply To This Message

Re: RIP - Greg Ham
Author: breno 
Date:   04-19-12 10:17

I still think that Men At Work have to hold the title of Most Unassuming Band to Ever Briefly Be the Biggest Band in the World.

Their main competition would be Huey Lewis and the News, though I don't know if they ever were as huge all over the world as Men At Work briefly and somewhat bizarrely were. Weird that both those groups were huge at the same time, though. Was there something in the air in 82-83 that made people want their rock stars to be anti-glamorous?

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   04-19-12 10:20

Where would THAT riff rank in the realm of pop/rock flute riffs? #1? Is there a more recognizable Tull riff?

Speaking of which, every home should contain this awesome party compilation: Heavy Flute

I think Business As Usual still holds up quite well as a New Wave record. That flute on Down Under, that sterile sounding sax on Who Can It Be Now - great instrumentation.

Post Edited (04-19-12 10:24)

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-19-12 10:30

I think "Going Up the Country" by Canned Heat would be its main competition for memorable flute riffs. That's the first one that springs to my mind, anyway.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   04-19-12 10:39

Quote:

think "Going Up the Country" by Canned Heat would be its main competition for memorable flute riffs. That's the first one that springs to my mind, anyway.

I gotta go with "Meth of a Rockette's Kick" by Mercury Rev.

Quote:

Was there something in the air in 82-83 that made people want their rock stars to be anti-glamorous?

Wasn't it Huey Lewis who spent his time at the top telling us how hip it was to be square?

I still don't own a single recording by him or his heinous assemblage.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   04-19-12 10:50

"Meth of a Rockette's Kick" - great call, Kay!

I also love the flute riff which runs throughout Dino Jr's Thumb. Of course I love all music made between 1990 and 1994.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   04-19-12 10:51

To hear Colin Hay's version of events, it was the addition of Greg Ham to the Men at Work lineup (in 1979) that led to their rapid rise. Ham was versatile, able and a consummate professional.

His playing on "Overkill" is priceless.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   04-19-12 11:29

I consider Ham the only other "recognizable" (it's relative, of course) member of Men at Work.

And, Breno, I must point out that Huey and Co's peak was actually 1984, not 82-83. I know this because I was one of those who saw "Sports Tour 84" and bought a concert shirt (baseball jersey) with that legend emblazoned upon it.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   04-19-12 12:23

Agree with Nose, that Business As Usual holds up well. Cargo isn't as strong overall, but I sure wouldn't want to be without "Overkill" somewhere in my life.

I've never compared Men at Work with Huey and his boys. Perhaps that's because a lot of M@W's songs bring back some great memories for me; I don't seem to have any particular associations with any of Huey's songs, even the best of them. (A couple of them remind me of Back to the Future, which isn't a bad thing ... but that's probably about it.) The Aussie band's songs still have the power to make me smile, whenever I hear them on the radio or the retail PA. Huey's songs, by comparison, usually make me want to change the station, or get out of the store faster.

Anyway! A sad loss. Rest in peace, Greg.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-19-12 13:43

Quote:

"Meth of a Rockette's Kick" - great call, Kay!

Yeah, what Kay said. I was thinking more of well known flute riffs as opposed to plain old kick-ass flute riffs. Suzanne Thorpe rules over all rock & roll flautists in my book.

I also always liked "Green Fingers" by Siouxsie and the Banshees, if one were to allow the recorder as a type of flute. And Peter Gabriel managed a few nice flute parts back in his Genesis days, notably in "Supper's Ready" right before the battle of Armageddon breaks out.

Oh, and I wasn't meaning to compare Men at Work and Huey Lewis & the News stylistically so much as charismatically. They're both groups that I look back on and say "Wait, what? THESE are the guys that the kids in the early 80s decided had the awesome star power to be platinum selling artists? What the hell!?!"

It could almost explain the rise of hair metal in the back half of the decade. After a several year stretch where the biggest rock stars were the J. Geils Band, Men At Work and Huey Lewis, people must've been ready for larger than life antics from cartoon pretty boys instead of paying to watch any more guys from down at the gas station get up on stage.

Post Edited (04-19-12 14:12)

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   04-19-12 14:06

Quote:

Is there a more recognizable Tull riff?

"Living In The Past," of course.

When I closed my eyes and tried to bring to mind the first flute "riff," it was the one in "Wasteland" by The Jam (though I think it's actaully a recorder).

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   04-19-12 17:33

Wasteland is deffo a recorder and I guess I shouldn't say he's the man behind THAT riff as the court says that person is Marion Sinclair.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org