Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Paul Weller's Sonik Kicks
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   03-26-12 16:41

Anybody heard the new Paul Weller yet? Thoughts?

I'm listening to it now and I'm having the same reaction I've had to his last few records - hell, most of his solo career. Like it, don't love it. It's pretty eclectic - he's trying some new things. But I still can't wrap my arms around it and love it and call it George. He's one talented dude, but I just can't seem to connect with his solo work beyond a superficial level.

Reply To This Message

Re: Paul Weller's Sonik Kicks
Author: erikalbany 
Date:   03-26-12 17:09

"I'm listening to it now and I'm having the same reaction I've had to his last few records - hell, most of his solo career. Like it, don't love it. . .I just can't seem to connect with his solo work beyond a superficial level."

This is the same reaction I've had to every album since Stanley Road. I was with him up to that point--and I actually saw him play NYC's Town Hall the day Wildwood came out (amazing show)--but I've been left cold by every single album since the mid-1990s. Sonik Kicks is a bit experimental, and I can appreciate that, but I just can't get into it. It's too bad, because he is someone I want to really like and support as long as he is making music.

Reply To This Message

Author: rebelwithoutaclue 
Date:   03-26-12 19:39

got to agree with you both here. i love how he covers so much ground
todd rundgren is another guy who i have a similar opinion of.
i recently was showing a few people who never heard of paul weller various youtube videos. showed them about a half a dozen videos . jam in the city,style council- your the best thing and a couple of others. my point was that this is all the same guy. they were amazed .
his solo stuff i like all of it but it doesnt stand out that much.
once i listen to it a few times i will listen to each album at random and the songs just dont stick out. if i was reviewing them all i would rate them 3.5 out of 5

Reply To This Message

Author: Philippe 
Date:   03-27-12 08:51

I haven't yet heard the new one, but every album he puts out has a couple of good tracks that remind you he's one of the most talented songwriters of his generation. All other tracks just don't stand out much and disappear into the back reaches of my brain without registering anything. Maybe he'd do better if he was less prolific, but he's earned a lifetime pass in my book for his work with The Jam,, so he can put out as many albums as he wishes, and I'll still check them out.

Reply To This Message

Re: Paul Weller's Sonik Kicks $3.99
Author: Jermoe 
Date:   03-27-12 10:04

Well, it's Amazon's MP3 Deal of the Day today. $3.99

It's streaming on Spinner, too:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/spinner#/1

Post Edited (03-27-12 10:08)

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org