Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Nice Kraftwerk shoutout...
Author: zwirnm 
Date:   03-05-12 10:30

in the midst of a NYT article on the demise of the pocket calculator

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/arts/design/farewell-pocket-calculator.html

Dozens of other electronics manufacturers developed their own versions of the pocket calculator, which became a corporate status symbol. The pinnacle of its design was the exquisite 1977 ET44 calculator designed for Braun in Germany by Dieter Rams and Dieter Lubs. Culturally, the product peaked in 1981 when the pioneering German electro band Kraftwerk released a single titled “Pocket Calculator” from its “Computer World” album. “I am adding and subtracting,” run the lyrics. “I’m controlling and composing. By pressing down a special key, it plays a little melody.”

Reply To This Message

Re: Nice Kraftwerk shoutout...
Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   03-08-12 13:41

I still hold onto my pocket calculator.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   03-08-12 13:57

Do I qualify as a Luddite if I'd rather continue using a calculator instead of making it be one more thing the damn phone is supposed to do?

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   03-08-12 14:07

No more than me, Reno, for insisting on having an iPod and a cell phone. When my phone can hold as many MP3s as my iPod, I'll consider it. Besides, it always makes me chuckle when my wife hooks her iPhone up to the stereo ... and then has to interrupt the music when a phone call comes in.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   03-08-12 14:24

I have no iPod, a phone for making calls only, a desktop computer at home, and (of course) a turntable. I work in the instructional technology dept at a university, and the folks on my team don't understand my lack of love for the latest gadgets.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   03-08-12 14:42

I still use a pen and paper to do my math. You kids get off my lawn!

Actually, that's true. Occasionally I use an adding machine to balance my checkbook. But I still do most math in my head or on scratch paper (with no one to show my work to). Which is why I don't do anything beyond basic add/subtract/multiply/divide.

I just purchased a smart phone for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It's been a learning curve, but I notice that, except for checking e-mail and surfing the web at idle times like waiting for the bus, I still just used it as...a phone.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   03-08-12 14:42

What about all the toolbags yesterday who watched with intense anticipation the announcement of the new iPad? My work was crawling with this variety of loser yesteray. The news was incredibly exciting: the new iPad has (gasp!) better screen resolution, more megapixels in the camera, and runs a different operating system. Yeeee-haaaa! Who would bave anticipated such unexpected new devlopments in the newer version of a computer?

Post Edited (03-08-12 14:43)

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   03-08-12 14:54

I dont even like calculators. When I used to teach college level math, not one student in 10 knew the value of basic expressions such as sin(0) or cos(0) which are fundamental to having any clue what calculus actually is.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   03-08-12 16:30

Quote:

I just purchased a smart phone for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It's been a learning curve, but I notice that, except for checking e-mail and surfing the web at idle times like waiting for the bus, I still just used it as...a phone.

Yeah, I finally gave in and got a smart phone, but only because it came free with the service plan. I can't stand the thing for the most part, except for two things:

Sound Hound is pretty useful when I'm somewhere and hear a song on the muzak that's intriguing to me but I don't know what it is, though its database is not as extensive as it could be.

And there have been a few times when I've been in a record store and come across a used disc that I can't remember if it's supposed to be any good or not, so it's nice to have a way to pull up the TP site on the spot.

Other than that, I don't generally tend to notice that the battery on the damn thing has run down until two or three days after it's done so.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org