Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Got some MOJO workin' ...
Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   03-04-12 19:35

I've been killing time this weekend running a metric ton of MOJO freebie CDs through the laptop. There's a lot of chaff to sift through, but there's also a lot of great stuff.

Hats off to Mr. Iggy Pop for his selections on the STOOGES JUKEBOX disc from 2007. Every last selection is a killer. Not a single lousy tune. Great vibe to the entire affair. Even the Last Poets thing, which inadvertently evokes the rancid air of a college poetry slam at a coffee house only lasts a minute. No sweat there. I have no problem with righteous anger ... when it's merited.

The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird
Little Richard - Tutti Frutti
Jerry Lee Lewis - Breathless
Eddie Cochran - Cotton Picker
The Fabulous Wailers - Tall Cool One
Dennis Coffey - Scorpio
Link Wray - Rumble
Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' At Midnight
Junior Kimbrough & The Soul Blue Boys - Crawling King Snake
John Lee Hooker - Drug Store Woman
Bo Diddley - Say Man
The Mothers Of Invention - Help, I'm A Rock
The Last Poets - Run Nigger
Cannibal & The Headhunters - Land of 1000 Dances
MC5 - Looking At You

EDITORIAL NOTE TO MOJOfficers: Much better to let artists spin the original version of the tune than mangle it via a cover version. I'm still trying to devise a suitably horrific and fitting death for that stinks-on-ice Dark Side Of The Moon / Wish You Were Here travesty. You know I haven't picked up a copy of your magazine since then?

(Just in case you were wondering why your circulation numbers have consistently been down by one).

I bring this up because I cannot remember if I've ever asked y'all what your selections would be for a one-CD "Trouser Press" freebie if there ever were to be one made. One disc to capture the essence of the whole shooting match. A ton of good stuff is going to get left off. This isn't a Noah's Ark proposition. More like Noah's Kayak.

Based on the website imagery, you know that there would be a Ramones tune. Probably some Elvis Costello. Nirvana? Likely.

But MOBY? We've only got one CD to work with here. I'd vote for a Neubauten tune before I'd spare any room for Moby.

The Clash?
R.E.M.?
Talking Heads?
Husker Du?
Madonna?
Bonzos?

It's kind of a painful thought process to dwell on, actually.

What would be intersting to me would be to have every song on every album in the TP in a rankable database and see how it all stacks up after some sort of review process. Then I could compare those results to my own list. It might provoke outrage.

"Whaddya mean? Madonna's 'Borderline' is the most popular TP tune ever? Splutter! Splutter! Harumph!"

Reply To This Message

Re: Got some MOJO workin' ...
Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   03-05-12 16:16

Seems a near-impossible task to assemble the TP All-Star cd, Kay, though I agree that it would probably have to contain the Clash, R.E.M., and HuDu (teach me how to do an umlaut, Delvin!). I'd also insist on a Minutemen song, and I nominate "Jesus and Tequila."

Reply To This Message

Author: dj45rpm 
Date:   03-05-12 16:21

Did the flexis that used to come with TP feature "exclusive" (or at least exclusive versions of) tracks? Perhaps a TP flexi-comp CD is in order...

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   03-05-12 21:14

Given the conversations that have gone on recently, I'd say Kate Bush and Echo & the Bunnymen would be there as well. Probably Prince, too.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   03-05-12 22:09

ripper thread, were all related tpers,
and iggy pop is eveyones grandfather.

Reply To This Message

Author: R. Totale 
Date:   03-06-12 10:34

Although I never heard in them what Ira & co. did when I was a subscriber, to be representative it would have to have a Cheap Trick song on it. And the Who.

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-07-12 10:42

Quote:

ripper thread

If it pains thee, imagine it as a C90 thread and make sure the auto-reverse function is enabled. And by all means ... plan on having room for more than 20-odd songs.

I still own virginal, untouched cassette tapes. Somewhere. For true.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   03-07-12 12:27

> Perhaps a TP flexi-comp CD is in order...

“New Stone Age” – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
“Bunker Soldiers” – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
“Poster Boy” – Holly and the Italians
“Life Without Buildings” – Japan
“Blame the Weather” – XTC
“Tissue Tigers” – XTC
“Fade Away” – Buggles
“On TV” – Buggles
“Doll Hospital” – John Hiatt
“Some Fun Now” – John Hiatt
“Grey Turns to Black” – Alex Gibson
“P Spell” – Alex Gibson
“Who’s Landing in My Hangar?” – Human Switchboard
“(Say No To) Saturday’s Girl” – Human Switchboard
“See Those Eyes” – Altered Images
“Daytime Logic” – Peter Baumann
“Personality Crisis” – David Johansen
“Get Up and Go!” – Positive Noise
“End in Tears” – Positive Noise
“L5” – Fools Face
“Public Places” – Fools Face
“Happy Boy” – Gleaming Spires
“Fun Type” – Gleaming Spires
“Russian Roulette” – Lords of the New Church
“Wolves, Lower” – R.E.M.
“Masquerade” – Berlin
“jimmy jimmy” – Ric Ocasek
“Boys in Town” – Divinyls
“Science Fiction” – Divinyls
“The Walls Came Down” – The Call
“Pockets of Pleasure” – Phil ‘n’ the Blanks
“A Space Traveler’s Manifesto” – Phil ‘n’ the Blanks
“In Your Head” – Moev
“Sing” – The Pool
“Harmonax” – The Pool
“Barricade Beach” – Insect Surfers
“Whispering Your Name” – Jules Shear
“Coney Island Whitefish” – Joan Jett
“In a Big Country” – Big Country
“Barbarella” – The Bongos
“Passion Killer” – One the Juggler
“Forgive & Forget” – Blue Zoo
“Acceleration” – Bill Nelson
“Boy’s Life” – TV Toy
“Not Even for a Minute” – Design

That looks like a 2-CD comp that I'd buy in a minute!

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-07-12 12:29

I was still buying - and recording onto - blank cassettes until maybe two years ago and I've got a ton of those TDK SA-90s. Over the years, I've been trying to acquire CD and vinyl versions of the records I only otherwise had on cassette. I've got some tapes that are still holding up after nearly 30 years and dozens (hundreds?) of plays, but some of 'em are getting kinda dodgy.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   03-07-12 12:35

Rhett, some of my favorite artists I have only ever owned on cassette tape. I own no CDs or any other format for The Clash, David Bowie, Prince, Led Zeppelin etc. Also, the innumerable mixtapes my friends and ex-wife made for me, and all the punk rock 45's I ripped onto cassette tape are personal treasures. The tapes are holding up OK, but I keep buying $5 boom boxes at yard sales to play them and these shit the bed. Maybe I should give in (about 25 years too late) and buy a decent cassette component for my stereo.

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-07-12 14:07

I've got two cassette components with my home stereo (to be able to dub tapes) and another with the other stereo in the basement/mancave/playroom. I believe I bought one of those decks off Craigslist for about $10 and have seen them for about that price at Goodwill. So yes, make the investment, fella.

Reply To This Message

Author: ira 
Date:   03-07-12 17:30

Some of them were exclusive, but a lot were just tracks the label wanted to put out there.

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-08-12 02:13

Quote:

Peter Baumann

Back in the 80s, I used to listen to a college radio station in northeastern Pennsylvania that had a few fairly decent shows. Not perfect, but good.

I'm nearly certain that somewhere in a mythical box full of old tapes, I have a cassette with a recording of a certain DJ from a certain show who followed up an otherwise awesome "goth block" of Bauhaus tunes with some banter wherein he mentions that their singer "Peter Baumann" had gone solo.

"Baumannhaus?

Every other Thursday (when I can remember to do so) I quite figuratively get down on my knees and thank my lucky stars that this howling bit of misinformation never passed my lips.

What a mighty faux-pas that would have been. It couldn't have been more than a year before the truth was revealed to me. I wish I could say with certainty that it had been a Trouser Press Epiphany, but it was more likely SPIN. Still, it could have been.

Those were the days. Of course, there was no such thing as wikipedia back then. Tell that to kids these days and they won't believe you.

Thanks to the same radio show, I also went along for several months (at least) thinking that Joy Division had covered a tune by The Velvet Underground called "Sister A." Luckily, I could still be making that mistake verbally to this very day and no one would ever know any better.

"Cue goodnight ..."

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   03-08-12 11:16

> Thanks to the same radio show, I also went along for several months (at least) thinking that
> Joy Division had covered a tune by The Velvet Underground called "Sister A."

Aha! The link between the Velvets, Joy Division and Radiohead!

Don't feel too bad, Kay. Thanks to a guy who wrote music reviews for our local newspaper, I toddled along for at least a couple months thinking that "Sister Ray" was a Doors song.

The guy was writing a review of Still, read the name Morrison in the credits for that song, and just jumped to the conclusion. I hadn't yet heard the Velvets (whose albums all were out of print at the time), so I didn't know any better either, and just took his word for it.

It wasn't until I bought Still, a month or two later, that I realized something was amiss. I had no idea who Reed, Tucker and Cale were, but I knew they weren't the other three Doors.

Curious epilogue: The reviewer turned out to be the son of one of my college professors. The professor became a friend of mine, and in turn, so did his son. Before long, I made the connection. One evening over drinks, I mentioned that review. As soon as I said "Joy Division," he became massively embarrassed (which wasn't my intent), admitting that he'd gotten the credit for "Sister Ray" totally, humiliatingly wrong.

Post Edited (03-08-12 11:16)

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-08-12 19:48

Quote:

I toddled along for at least a couple months thinking that "Sister Ray" was a Doors song.

Where's The Australian Doors Show when you need em?

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org