Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 This is a 10.0 record
Author: nosepail 
Date:   02-29-12 10:13

Vee Vee

Reply To This Message

Re: This is a 10.0 record
Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   02-29-12 10:47

I think they were better than Pavement. They certainly rocked out more. There were more musical twists and turns.

They weren't as outwardly amused with themselves as Malkmus and his crowd were. Does that cost them points? Is anyone keeping score?

Archers of Loaf never made a shitty record. I can think of a few out-and-out bad Pavement numbers.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-29-12 11:05

I rather like the line:

Quote:

AoL reached their greatest heights on Vee Vee, but it's also the album where they overplayed their hand. Indie rock deserves to be clowned as hard and as often as anything, but when you reach the point where you're screaming "Nostalgia!" at your audience, or towing around the flatulent "Underachievers March and Fight Song", you might just need a vacation.

I also like: "Bachmann had gravitated toward the quotidian concerns of the American songbook with Crooked Fingers.'

Quotidian indeed.....

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-29-12 15:26

"Bachmann had gravitated toward the quotidian concerns of the American songbook with Crooked Fingers."

Since when is the American songbook about quotidian concerns??? Usually what makes it a song is that there is something elevated about it. Unless one considers the American songbook to only consist of Brian Wilson's "Busy Doin' Nothin" and Dolly Parton's "9 to 5."

Somebody's been nosing around in the Q section of the dictionary again.

I said it once; I'll say it again: Just because it's a rock review, doesn't mean you can say ANYTHING.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-29-12 15:45

Man, you're a tough grader, Erik. I thought it was a cool sounding line ;)

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   02-29-12 17:05

That's kinda Erik's point, right? It's a cool sounding line, but it doesn't mean anything!

I dig Vee Vee a lot, but I'm not sure I'll run out and buy this reissue, which I did do for Icky Mettle.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   02-29-12 17:09

Quote:

I said it once; I'll say it again: Just because it's a rock review, doesn't mean you can say ANYTHING.

Bah! Says you. I'll sell these babies for a nickel apiece to anyone writing a review in need of a meaningless line:

"The dextrous wordsmithing of the second verse calls to mind the spectacle of Errol Flynn on a bender in a Polynesian speakeasy."

"Take away the awesome sturm und drang of the middle third and what do you have left? Ernest Borgnine's marriage to Ethel Merman - a sad, squalid and mercifully brief affair."

"The bulk of side one is serviceable, if you're of the stripe who considers a tomato to be a vegetable."

"(Guitarist) is like a venomous spider holed up in an ATF agent's jackboot - whether he's good or evil depends entirely on the amount of tinfoil in the listener's hat."

"He sounds like everything he learned, he learned at Robert Johnson's knee - provided Johnson was spending the night in a different hotel."

"Look, a little bit of pandering to the audience is to be expected. But this sounds like the audience being pandered to is composed of quizmasters and yokels."

"Sure, the drummer is ham-fisted, but ham with sweet potatoes and green beans on the side makes for a mighty fine Easter dinner. Christ is risen!"

"Even the hardiest philanthropist would consider the vocals beyond rescue. One might as well try to teach a Belgian to swing."

"Sure, it's pop. But everyone knows you also need a little snap and crackle for a balanced breakfast."

Actually, I kind of like that last one. I might keep that one for myself.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-29-12 19:05

That's GOLD, breno--gold, I tell ya!

It kind of reminds me of this thing that I was fascinated with for a while last night: The Martin Luther insult generator.

I feel like it was strumming my pain with its fingers and singing my life with its words. . .

http://tyler.rasmussen.name.s80883.gridserver.com/luther/

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   02-29-12 22:11

Man, I'd forgotten how much I love "Harnessed in Slums."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ymumzyWMU

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   03-01-12 08:43

Quote:

"Sure, the drummer is ham-fisted, but ham with sweet potatoes and green beans on the side makes for a mighty fine Easter dinner. Christ is risen!"

BRAVO BRENO!

They were all toothsome, but the one I quoted is my favorite ... until I read the list again.

Damn. I love ham and sweet potatoes.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org