Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Creedence Clearwater
Author: willie 
Date:   02-29-12 14:42

CCR is one of those bands I instinctively love without ever really listening to for years on end. Can someone provide an erudite and succinct summary of why these guys deeply hate each other. Was it just money or something? I don't get it and I feel sorry for any human being who harbors a grudge for 40 years.

Reply To This Message

Re: Creedence Clearwater
Author: nosepail 
Date:   02-29-12 15:20

"The success of Creedence Clearwater Revival made Fantasy and Saul Zaentz a great deal of money. Indeed, Fantasy built a new headquarters building in 1971 at 2600 Tenth Street in Berkeley, California.[16] Zaentz also used his wealth to produce a number of successful films including Best Picture Oscar winners One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, and The English Patient. In 2004, he sold Fantasy to Concord Records. As a goodwill gesture, Concord honored the unfulfilled contractual promises Fantasy made nearly forty years earlier, finally paying the band a higher royalty rate on their sales.

One decision made by John Fogerty rankled his bandmates and would leave all of them without most of their hard-earned money and facing legal and financial problems for years. Without the other three band members' knowledge, Fogerty agreed to a tax shelter scheme proposed by Saul Zaentz and his lawyers in which most of the bandmembers' assets were transferred to Castle Bank & Trust (Bahamas) of Nassau. Zaentz and his associates withdrew their assets before the bank eventually dissolved along with the savings of the four Creedence Clearwater Revival band members. A series of lawsuits began in 1978 and eventually ended with a California court awarding $8.6 million to the band members in April 1983. Despite this legal victory, very little of the money was recovered."

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-29-12 15:20

"Zanz Kant Danz"

That's about as succinct as it gets.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   02-29-12 15:21

Whats your favorite "non-hit" Creedence song?

I'll take "Cotton Fields" off of Willie and The Poor Boys. Such an incredibly catchy tune. Much better than Proud Mary or Lodi....

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   03-01-12 18:23

Quote:

Whats your favorite "non-hit" Creedence song?

PAGAN BABY!

Reply To This Message

Author: zwirnm 
Date:   03-01-12 23:01

Reading Ellen Willis offers me some insights on the values of CCR during their heyday, but I don't know anything other than the hits.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   03-02-12 08:52

"It Came Out of the Sky." No, wait - "Wrote a Song For Everyone." No, wait - "Effigy." No, wait...aw, damn...

CCR was my dad's favorite band when I was born. My parents used to play their music to me when I was in the crib. I am practically genetically predisposed to love them. Their music still makes me happy no matter how many times I hear it, and I've heard "Proud Mary" and "Fortunate Son" probably a hundred thousand times. I never tire of it. There aren't many bands, even favorites, about whom I can say that. It's impossible for me to be objective about them.

Reply To This Message

Author: R. Totale 
Date:   03-02-12 11:30

"Commotion"

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org