Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 tp film student alert!
Author: STEVE 
Date:   02-24-12 20:40

finally @ 50 i watched the 1963 film 'the innocents'
i don't know what i saw. can some pressed trousered one enlighten me? please.

Post Edited (02-24-12 20:41)

Reply To This Message

Re: tp film student alert!
Author: STEVE 
Date:   02-24-12 21:05

alright maybe (some of) you haven't seen the film,
i don't like morse code any more than the avg WWII vet. so i'll just say it, i would rather pervert my own children than someone elses.

with that said, 'the innocents' is by far the most horrific film from the UK i've ever seen.

bravo!

Post Edited (02-24-12 21:12)

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   02-25-12 08:02

Mr. Steve, I saw The Innocents a few times already, and it is a horror classic. The ghosts were done juuuust right.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-25-12 15:48

Ugh. I can't stand Henry James (whose Turn of the Screw this is based on).

Cormac McCarthy said it best:

"The novel depends for its life on the novels that have been written." His list of those whom he calls the "good writers" -- Melville, Dostoyevsky, Faulkner -- precludes anyone who doesn't "deal with issues of life and death." Proust and Henry James don't make the cut. "I don't understand them," he says. "To me, that's not literature. A lot of writers who are considered good I consider strange."

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   02-25-12 22:56

After that awful Nicole Kidman movie "The Others" came out (essentially a remake), I went back and watched "The Innocents." Made me appreciate it all the more.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   02-26-12 19:50

I know the Henry James. I know the Nicole Kidman. I know the Erasure album The Innocents. I'm unfamiliar with the original film.

My advice (y'all know this already, but here goes): Erasure.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   02-27-12 10:58

STEVE!

Your headline struck me as supremely eerie, as I'd been thinking just this very morning about a "TP Filmfest" with a bill of fare that would be limited solely to films that had been sampled or directly referenced in various tunes.

I'm thinking along the lines of "The L-Shaped Room" with the "Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty" sing-along sampled at the beginning of "The Queen Is Dead."

Or perhaps whatever film contains the snippet of "In his autumn before the winter comes man's last mad surge of youth." / "What on earth are you talking about?" that The Chameleons have used several times.

I dunno. It wouldn't have to be those exact flicks.

"This is MY Happening ... and it turns me ON!"

I always have to remind myself that that bit is sung by Brix Smith and isn't a Kim Gordon vocal. Why does my brain so badly want it to be a Sonic Youth and not The Fall? I do it all the time. Yeah, yeah.

Beyond the Valley of The Dolls. That flick stinks on ice.

Anyway, I was thinking "Trouser Press" and "film" just this morning.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   02-27-12 23:26

A documentary on Trouser Press and the TPers that keep it going wouldn't be a bad idea; we all deserve a shout out. Like the Polar Bear club, we plunge into the sonic waters and brave the currents of music - good, bad, indifferent and pukey.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org