Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Slim Dunlap Hospitalized after Stroke
Author: breno 
Date:   02-23-12 11:02

Missed seeing this story a couple of days ago:

http://pitchfork.com/news/45504-former-replacements-guitarist-slim-dunlap-hospitalized-after-stroke/

Reply To This Message

Re: Slim Dunlap Hospitalized after Stroke
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   02-23-12 11:31

I thought I saw someone post about this here - must've imagined it, since I saw it everywhere else.

At any rate, it sounds like he's mentally alert, at least. He's looking at a lot of physical therapy, though. I hope he beats this thing.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-23-12 14:56

That's too bad. . . I always liked Slim and thought he should be a bigger part of the 'Mats history. He gave me a bottle of beer as my face was pressed against the stage during a memorable (and memorably riotous) show at Nashville's Center Stage (1989--Don't Tell a Soul tour). The only other performer to give me beer as I stood in the front row was Pat DiNizio a couple of years later during the Smithereens' 11 tour (at NYU, Loeb Student Center, which has since been levelled). I did offer to buy Damon Albarn a beer during Blur's Modern Life Is Rubbish tour (Irving Plaza). Since the band had been pretty smashed the year before, I figured he'd be up for it. Apparently, management had them on booze restrictions. "Not now. . . Maybe later. Don't drink so much, not much anymore," he said, then apologized for the previous show (which saw him suspended, possum-fashion, from the lighting grid, while Alex took a nap on the stage). Where was I going with these stories of beer??--oh yeah, best wishes for a speedy recovery, Slim.

Post Edited (02-23-12 15:07)

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   02-23-12 15:55

Quote:

I did offer to buy Damon Albarn a beer during Blur's Modern Life Is Rubbish tour (Irving Plaza).

I remember some guys asking Mike Watt if he wanted to go to Shoney's with him after a Firehose show in Gainesville in '93 or so. He declined, of course, but seemed sincerely apologetic and sad that he couldn't go.

Speaking of beer, I remember that every now and then during the show, Mike would simulate taking a swig from a can, looking toward the bar in the back of the room. Shortly after, a guy would show up at the side of the stage with a fresh cold...Black Label. Nothing but the best for Watt, I guess.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-23-12 16:10

Shoney's! Man, that's a blast from the past. My mom came to visit me in the late 1980s when I was stationed in Fort Campbell. We went there and had the spaghetti--it was like ketchup and noodles. I guess we Northeasterners are a bit spoiled where ethnic food is concerned.

Mike Watt didn't miss a thing. . .

And Black Label? Ugh. When I drank, I always stuck with more potable fare.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   02-24-12 10:35

How can you not love a guy who was the first replacement member of The Replacements?

Here's wishing him a speedy and complete recovery.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org