Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Should I Go See Van Dyke Parks?
Author: breno 
Date:   02-20-12 17:52

Van Dyke Parks is going to be playing at a small (250 capacity) venue in St. Louis in April. I have no clue what kind of show he's going to be doing there, whether it's just him and a piano or with a combo of any sort or what. Has anyone ever seen him live?

It's only $22 and is on a Friday night (very important to my increasingly old and stubbornly set-in-my-ways self), so I'm intrigued, but not sure if I'm intrigued enough to actually go. So if anyone has any info on what a Van Dyke Parks performance would be like, please holler.

Sharon Van Etten & War on Drugs are playing the same venue a week earlier, and I'll definitely be making it to that one, as I will to Zola Jesus this Thursday.

The venue is in an old nunnery, which turns out to be much cooler in theory than it is in practice. I saw the Joy Formidable there last year and it was just another performance space. I was expecting saints and stained glass windows and gargoyles to abound, but it felt more like a grade school gymnasium from the 70s than anything else.

Reply To This Message

Re: Should I Go See Van Dyke Parks?
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   02-20-12 18:07

I'd probably go if he came here. I'm not a huge fan, but who knows when the opportunity might come along again? He's not big on touring.

Speaking of opportunity, I blew mine to see The War On Drugs a few months ago and have regretted it ever since. Let me know how that show is.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   02-20-12 22:00

i'd wash dishes to see van dyke parks. please forward me an employment application from the club where he is playing.
thanks brad.

Post Edited (02-20-12 22:29)

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   02-21-12 09:09

Yes.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   02-21-12 09:49

In the words of Bartleby, when it comes to going to see Van Dyke Parks, I would prefer not to.

Talk about an accidental celebrity. He can shove his columnated ruins domino (and the rest of his crappy poetry) where the sun don't shine.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   02-21-12 12:13

Hey Brad, this should give you an idea - check out a concert of his from 2010 here:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/06/van-dyke-parks-wholesome-charm-at-primavera-sound-2010.html

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org