Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Previous Message  |  Next Message 
 Should I Go See Van Dyke Parks?
Author: breno 
Date:   02-20-12 17:52

Van Dyke Parks is going to be playing at a small (250 capacity) venue in St. Louis in April. I have no clue what kind of show he's going to be doing there, whether it's just him and a piano or with a combo of any sort or what. Has anyone ever seen him live?

It's only $22 and is on a Friday night (very important to my increasingly old and stubbornly set-in-my-ways self), so I'm intrigued, but not sure if I'm intrigued enough to actually go. So if anyone has any info on what a Van Dyke Parks performance would be like, please holler.

Sharon Van Etten & War on Drugs are playing the same venue a week earlier, and I'll definitely be making it to that one, as I will to Zola Jesus this Thursday.

The venue is in an old nunnery, which turns out to be much cooler in theory than it is in practice. I saw the Joy Formidable there last year and it was just another performance space. I was expecting saints and stained glass windows and gargoyles to abound, but it felt more like a grade school gymnasium from the 70s than anything else.

Reply To This Message  |  Flat View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Topics Author  Date
 Should I Go See Van Dyke Parks?  new
breno 02-20-12 17:52 
 Re: Should I Go See Van Dyke Parks?  new
Michael Toland 02-20-12 18:07 
STEVE 02-20-12 22:00 
hoip chiggs 02-21-12 09:09 
MrFab 02-21-12 12:13 
erikalbany 02-21-12 09:49 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org