Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 R.I.P. Mike Kelley
Author: breno 
Date:   02-01-12 16:06

More crappy news.

http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/758572/legendary-artist-mike-kelley-dead-at-58-an-apparent-suicide

Could've sworn Destroy All Monsters had a full entry here, but I guess not.

Post Edited (02-01-12 16:10)

Reply To This Message

Re: R.I.P. Mike Kelley
Author: zoo 
Date:   02-01-12 16:47

Sad. I've never heard of him, but that's not saying much.

I as a bit taken aback by this quote in the article:

"It is totally shocking that someone would decide to do this, someone who has success and renown and options," said Winer. "It's extremely sad." She added that the artist had been depressed.

So...if he didn't have success and renown, would his suicide have been not so shocking?

Everyone of us has options.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   02-01-12 17:32

I know he's probably best known 'round these parts for Destroy All Monsters, but him and Jim Shaw's (I frequently get the two of them mixed up) art is among my favorites. They barged into the art world the way 'Mad' did publishing, and punk did music, a riot of thrift-store crap, trash culture references, and irreverent humor. The Ramones of art. Pretty funny (and ironic) to see his stuff (alongside Raymond Pettibone) in the very institutions of 'high culture' they were so alienated from in the '70s and '80s.

So, yeah, this is sad news for me, in case you hadn't guessed...

Reply To This Message

Author: dj45rpm 
Date:   02-01-12 19:15

The fact that one of the Fair brothers was wearing a "Destroy All Monsters" shirt on the cover of Half Japanese's "Greatest Hits" sez it all.

Rest in peace Mr. Kelley. :(

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org