Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 What to cover, what to cover ... Damn, man, what to cover?
Author: Delvin 
Date:   01-18-12 10:53

What songs by TP artists would you like to hear covered by more mainstream artists?

Yeah, I know; to some, the very suggestion borders on apostasy. But Kay's suggestion about Meat Loaf covering "Black Monk Theme" (on the 21st century muzak thread) suggests that this could come up with some weird, challenging, or perhaps hilarious results.

I've mentioned on a thread here that I'd like to hear Britney Spears cover "This Year's Girl."

Reply To This Message

Re: What to cover, what to cover ... Damn, man, what to cover?
Author: mats84 
Date:   01-18-12 11:05

I want to hear Coldplay take a crack at "Turn On The News" - that'll learn them to think they can do anything with pianos......

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-18-12 11:07

Since Sugar used to play "Armenia City in the Sky," I think the Who should return the favor with one of Mould's compositions. Maybe "Celebrated Summer," or "Too Far Down" with Townshend singing.

I think Pink Floyd should reunite and play the Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin in its entirety.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   01-18-12 11:16

Well, I don't know if I would actually "like" to hear it, but if I had the power to influence material chosen by American Idol contestants, I would steer them towards the Prefab Sprout or Aztec Camera songbooks. If there's any song lurking out there with the potential to be the next "Hallelujah," it's "When Love Breaks Down."

it truly is a mystery to me why Paddy MacAloon or Roddy Frame remain undiscovered by the Susan Boyles of the world (or their handlers, anyway). The Prefab Sprout and Aztec Camera catalogs are full of exquisitely crafted songs that would not seem to be dependent on being performed by the original artist to work (in contrast to Elvis Costello's songbook, for example) and could be turned into big over-the-top show stoppers that miss the point of the original songs but get rapturous audience reaction, which is the trade-off they're all looking for anyway.

I know my respect for all the American Idol wannabes or the singer-songrwriters who still rely on familiar covers rather than their own material to get the biggest reaction at their shows (I'm looking at you, Brandi Carlile) would triple if they would all retire "Hallelujah," "Just Like Heaven," "Mad World," "Perfect Day" and "Creep" and trot out "Appetite" or "Pillar to Post" instead.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   01-18-12 14:33

I've thought for some time that The Buzzcocks' "You Say You Don't Love Me" is really a lounge finger-snapper perfect for someone like Tony Bennett. Think about it.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   01-18-12 14:46

I would have loved to have heard REM (the latter-day version) cover the Go-Betweens' "Streets of Your Town."

Adele covering the Blow Monkeys' "Digging Your Scene"? I'd purchase that.

Post Edited (01-18-12 14:54)

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-18-12 15:26

The Muppets have already covered the Talking Heads - I think they should take on They Might Be Giants next. How about "Ana Ng?" Sung by Fozzie, I think.

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   01-18-12 18:25

CSNY doing Paul Kelly's Look So Fine Feel So Low

Reply To This Message

Author: diskojoe 
Date:   01-19-12 11:40

I've always thought that if Kate Bush covered "The Way Love Used To Be", by the Kinks, she could have at least another big UK hit.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   01-19-12 13:47

I would like to hear somebody, anybody cover Split Enz' "Under the Wheel" just to see who would have the guts to try and match Phil Judd's unhinged vocal performance. John Lydon or Peter Hammill could probably pull it off, but they are by no means mainstream.

Post Edited (01-19-12 16:04)

Reply To This Message

Author: willie 
Date:   01-20-12 16:41

I've always wanted to hear Michael Buble doing Black Randy's "I Slept In An Arcade."

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   01-20-12 20:03

arctic monkeys do sister ray

Reply To This Message

Author: jothoma 
Date:   01-22-12 12:22

During the era of the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles I thought a cover of The Rolling Stones' "Street Fighting Man" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (being that they were the biggest band from L.A. at that time) would have been especially relevant.

Now that we have the occupy movement on the streets around the country this song seems to be bubbling up in my consciousness again. I am not sure who would be the band to cover it now though. The Red Hots aren't exactly on the cusp of the cultural zeitgeist these days...

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   01-22-12 18:58

Hey Jothoma! Long time no see! Welcome back.

Reply To This Message

Author: BCE 
Date:   01-23-12 07:01

Hearing The Civil Wars cover "Fairytale of New York" would be surreal.

Katy Perry doing "Something I Learned Today."

And it might be weird to hear Adele cover "Song For Elizabeth Cotton."

Reply To This Message

Author: ira 
Date:   01-30-12 22:09

http://www.divshare.com/folder/960681-ac6

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   01-31-12 10:42

Quote:

The Muppets have already covered the Talking Heads - I think they should take on They Might Be Giants next. How about "Ana Ng?" Sung by Fozzie, I think.

Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem covering "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" would make me happy.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-01-12 12:30

Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem covering anything would make me happy.

Can you picture that?

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org