Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 solo acoustic showdown
Author: nosepail 
Date:   01-31-12 10:33

Who should I see tonight in Boston: Mark Kozelek or Thurston Moore? I enjoy Mark Kozelek's solo acoustic stuff much more honestly but I have a fear of an undynamic, and perhaps dour, show. Any advice from the TP gang?

Reply To This Message

Re: solo acoustic showdown
Date:   01-31-12 10:57

I think I might sit out both. The Ticketmaster page has reviews like this:

Really?
Setlist: Same tune, same strumming pattern for 2 hours.
Opening act(s): None unfortunately. I'm sure anything would have been more entertaining.

he used to be good but his show @ the Alladin sucked. One song after another that sounded exactly the same....asked the crowd what they wanted to hear after insulting them numerous times but then didn't want to play what was requested except a crappy encore cover of 'Send in the Clowns'. Glad I at least didn't pay too much for that show. Ugh.

Setlist: Same tune, same strumming pattern for 2 hours.
Opening act(s): None unfortunately. I'm sure anything would have been more entertaining.'

Mark Kozelek is a statue
Love his voice, love his lyrics, but his show was pretty boring. A couple dozen sad songs in a row, and none of them had bridges, or choruses for that matter. Pretty, but repetitive.

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-31-12 11:16

I like Kozelek, but I don't doubt these folks' descriptions.

I'd go see Moore just to see what a guy known for dissonant electric guitars would do with an acoustic.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-31-12 14:00

Yeah, Mark K definitely might provide better bedroom/headphone music than live excitement.

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   01-31-12 14:00

Solo acoustic Kozelek doing my favorite RHP song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZJqB8G6MNA

Moore, not solo but acoustic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzONrSfYLEQ

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   01-31-12 15:04

Quote:

I'd go see Moore just to see what a guy known for dissonant electric guitars would do with an acoustic.

"Winner's Blues" off Experimental Jet-Set, Trash & No Star was acoustic, no?

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-31-12 16:22

I suppose, but doing one song as a novelty is not the same thing as filling up 75 minutes of live performance with nothing but an acoustic guitar.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org