Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Royal Philharmonic Does U2?
Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   11-19-09 22:41

Found the CD in the U2 bin at the local record store today and just had to hear it. Gave it a spin in the shop and it was a nonstop laughfest.

"Desire" sounded like the theme to some sort of Gaelic Western! I could just see Bono and Co. riding their wild horses across a sunset vista. With mesas and Joshua trees, of course.

What crap! Hilarious, misguided crap. And not nearly worth $8.99 used. Threw it back to let it mature a little. Some day it'll be priced down.

A buck or two and it's mine! But not a penny more if I was to be boiled for it!

Reply To This Message

Re: Royal Philharmonic Does U2?
Author: MrFab 
Date:   11-20-09 14:48

Sounds even better then those string quartet tribute albums. I've been meaning to get the VU+Nico one off Amazon if the price drops enough. I did buy a cocktail piano tribute to Nirvana. Most relaxing!

Ever hear the London Punkharmonic Orchestra?

Oooh, check this out! That version of "Kool Thing"'s worth 99 cents.

I think of these as future thrift store purchases. They'll end up in a bargain bin somewhere someday...

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   01-23-12 13:49

Browsing online, I spotted an album of lullaby versions of Coldplay songs. Apparently a group called Rockabye Baby! is making a living with this "tribute" approach. The group has produced discs of lullabies composed by everyone from The Beatles and Led Zeppelin to Kanye West and Guns 'N Roses. Another lullaby group, Twinkle Twinkle Little Rock Star, has a catalog twice as deep drawing from a comparably eclectic array of sources.

Several of you on this board are parents. Has anyone checked into these lullaby tributes?

Reply To This Message

Author: rebelwithoutaclue 
Date:   01-23-12 14:00

i own and operate a party good store and was approached by the company to sell the product. {i hate calling music product}. i view it as kids version of muzak.. cute gift item perhaps . they gave me a guns n roses sample and i didnt think too much of it.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   01-23-12 15:59

I've seen a few of them and was amused and moderately interested, but not enough to actually plunk down any money to hear it. My 6-year-old daughter would probably pooh-pooh them now anyway.

Reply To This Message

Author: dj45rpm 
Date:   01-24-12 14:19

I can understand the "lullabye" CDs, but are there people out there that actually buy CDs like "A Bluegrass tribute to Blink 182", "A Celtic tribute to Radiohead", et al. (aside from future generations of Incredibly Strange Music collectors)?

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   01-24-12 15:04

I picked up this bluegrass tribute in the used bin.

And this one, honoring Pink Floyd's biggest-selling album.

There's a bluegrass band in this town called Grass It Up that does some great covers. In one set, I heard the quartet cover Cake's "Short Skirt/Long Jacket," Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" and Prince's "When Doves Cry." I'd be very pleased if the band decided to record & release a covers album.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org