Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Oh, the Humanity....
Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   01-23-12 17:19

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs/thread-count/disney-launches-a-joy-division-inspired-mickey-mouse-tee-20120123

The world can't end soon enough.

Reply To This Message

Re: Oh, the Humanity....
Author: breno 
Date:   01-23-12 20:04

Sons of bitches.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   01-23-12 20:18

It's one of those links I didn't want to visit, but I had to see. . . It was worse than I could even imagine. Jeebus.

Post Edited (01-23-12 20:35)

Reply To This Message

Author: dj45rpm 
Date:   01-23-12 21:50

I won't ask who authorized this on JD's end (though I can make a few guesses).

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   01-23-12 22:22

What's really depressing is that the damn thing appears to be sold out. So there are plenty of soul-less people out there. Most likely people who first heard of Joy Division circa 2007 or so - little creeps born in 1990 who've outgrown their CBGB t-shirts. I can't imagine anyone who Joy Division actually meant something to buying the wretched thing.

Fucking kids. Get off my lawn, you little bastards.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   01-24-12 09:25

> I won't ask who authorized this on JD's end (though I can make a few guesses).

Apparently, the original waveform image (from the astronomy lab at Cambridge) is public domain.

Nevertheless, it's a hideously depressing t-shirt design. (And you thought the Absolut ad was sacrilegous! Man, that ad comes off as a beautiful tribute compared to this!)

I need to take a walk. This day is getting off to a rotten start.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   01-24-12 11:09

Wow. That's in incredibly bad taste. Is there NOTHING that those whores at Disney won't do for a buck?

Half Man Half Biscuit were absolutely prescient about this.

What's that honey? Well ... sometimes people get sick or they feel very, very sad. They feel so sad that they think that they'll never feel better ... so they decide to end their own life. That' s not a good thing, because it makes it a certainty that things will never get better. See?

What? No. Mickey isn't going to hang himself. He's a cartoon character. What's that? No. Your Mommy and I aren't going to hang ourselves either. We love you very much and if you don't ever want to go to Disney World again, we won't.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   01-24-12 11:54

Wow, so much rancor over Joy Division. Maybe I just don't hold them in such high esteem as some others around here.

If anyone has ever been to a Disney store (at the mall or at a Disney property), then it should be old news that Disney has a habit of co-opting others' work. I regard the Disney Star Wars characters as equally poor in taste.

Reply To This Message

Author: rhettlawrence 
Date:   01-24-12 12:23

I gotta say it's not as bad as I feared. Completely ridiculous, of course, but not as bad as I assumed it would be.

Kay's imagined dialogue with a child made me laugh out loud, so thanks for that!

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   01-24-12 12:30

Can't there be a co-opting shield similar to an electric fence where the co-opter gets a shock?

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-24-12 13:08

I wonder if the designer of this shirt was thinking about Kraftwerk ...

Not as egregiously offensive as the pulsar waves t-shirt, but I still hate it.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   01-24-12 14:34

Honestly, I can't get too riled up about it, and I loathe Disney.

I purchased something similar awhile back:

I like it because it confuses people.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-27-12 13:04

The saga concludes.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-27-12 15:17

Quote:

wholesome family entertainment and ferociously-opinionated music geekdom

It isn't so much that I'm all that protective of Joy Division. It just that by attempting to appropriate the Unknown Pleasures imagery (dare we call it "iconography?"), Disney has tipped their hand and revealed themselves to NOT be all that concerned with so-called "wholesome family entertainment." There's nothing wholesome about Joy Division. What the hell was Disney thinking?

Answer: $$$

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-27-12 16:21

Peter Hook on the kerfuffle.

details

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   01-27-12 19:49

Hook sez "maybe Walt can achieve what no amount of people seem to be able to do in the world, and bring Joy Division back together."

If the already-dead Mr Disney can bring Ian Curtis back from the grave...hmm, yeah, I'd go see that show.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-27-12 21:41

:::cue Goofy singing "Atmosphere":::

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   01-27-12 22:12

i say any band can sell its soul if it (really) wants too.
and that has to be better than most bands who don't have a soul er uh, even a song to sell.

Post Edited (01-27-12 22:22)

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   05-19-17 13:11

Last night, the guitarist for Gruesome was wearing this:

and I remembered this thread. I did some searching and boy, there are a lot of knockoffs out there.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-19-17 15:49

Most of those knockoffs truly suck ass. There's no excuse for this sort of appropriation, but since the cover image of Unknown Pleasures is public domain, there's also no likelihood they'll stop.

That said, I confess that the "Joey Division/Unknown Friends" shirt did get a chuckle out of me.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   05-21-17 22:06

very informative. but i could never strangle meself.
anyone out there wanna choke me?

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org