Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Yeesh, I can't take a whole album of this.
Author: totaji 
Date:   01-19-12 22:19

Are there any decent, good, or great bands that you can only take in small doses...but grate on you if you try a whole album.

for me Galaxie 500 is a good example. I listen to one song and love it, but I have never made it through a whole album. Same goes with Best Coast.

Reply To This Message

Re: Yeesh, I can't take a whole album of this.
Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   01-20-12 00:44

Mission of Burma.

The horrible truth about Burma is that "Forget" is basically the only tune I truly love.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   01-20-12 09:49

The White Stripes. (The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather are much better bands, IMO.)

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-20-12 10:20

I'm waiting patiently for a really good Stripes best-of.

I hate to say it, but Prince. The only one of his records I've enjoyed start-to-finish is the collection The Hits. I tend to lose interest in his studio records long before they're over.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-20-12 10:37

> I hate to say it, but Prince.

As much as I love Prince, his catalog includes plenty of albums that are hard to enjoy from start to finish.

Wilco is another band that (to these ears) has been pretty inconsistent on disc. They sure were good in concert last night, though.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-20-12 10:49

Quote:

I hate to say it, but Prince. The only one of his records I've enjoyed start-to-finish is the collection The Hits. I tend to lose interest in his studio records long before they're over.

Oddly, Sign O The Times is the only Prince album I've ever felt compelled to own (on cassette) - and I'd even grab it on CD if I could find a used copy. There was a time when I used to listen to that a lot. It was like a Prince smörgåsbord.

Awesome (potentially) Unused, Heavy Metal Band Moniker: SMÖRGÅSBORD

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   01-20-12 10:57

I am surprised about Prince. Sign Of The Times has just such jaw-dropping variety, and so many killer songs, I wonder why that album would grate on someone over the course of a listen. It's certainly not because of stylistic sameness.

For me, it's Elvis Costello. A few songs and I enjoy him. An whole album of that somewhat-flat Everyman's voice, which basically sounds the same no matter what song he's singing, and I am done.

Post Edited (01-20-12 11:04)

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-20-12 11:46

For some Costello albums, I agree with you (especially the ones where he seems to think he's a jazz singer). But mostly I dig his albums start to finish.

I know I'll be in the vast majority here, but while I think Prince is a consummate singles artist - maybe the greatest of all time, and I don't say that lightly - his buckets of ideas make his LPs lose focus pretty quickly. I don't want to insult him by comparing him to Bob Pollard, but I think there's a certain similarity in that both fill their records with half-baked ideas that could have been great with a little more focus.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jermoe 
Date:   01-20-12 11:51

A little Oingo Boingo goes a long way.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-20-12 12:36

Agree with Mr. Toland about Prince's over-abundance of ideas. As talented as Prince is, he's long been in need of a good critical editor. He seems to think that whatever idea his muse delivers must be worthwhile. (The ego can be a ridiculous thing.)

I had very high hopes when Prince came up with Musicology and then followed it up with 3121 — his two most consistent albums, start to finish, since the Eighties. Since then, though, Lotusflow3r and 20Ten show that the dude still is as unfocused as ever.

> A little Oingo Boingo goes a long way.

On record, that's pretty much true. It wasn't true in concert, IMO.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   01-20-12 13:00

Cocteau Twins

Need I say more?

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-20-12 15:09

Quote:

Cocteau Twins

Need I say more?

I could listen to them for hours at a time. I don't ... but I could.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   01-20-12 19:56

Death Cab for Cutie

They have plenty of perfectly good songs that I like (not love: like), but Gibbard's oblique, soulless, idiosyncratic voice gets to me after more than a track or two.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paganizer 
Date:   01-21-12 07:49

Wilco -- super-long bonus show to the White D.
But low on Summerteeth and not the best they've played. Obviously more enthused about the newer tracks, which have been worked up/arranged nicely. Via Chicago still the highlight though.
---
Can only take 1 track of Prince - great producer; poor arranger; poor self-limiter (surrounded by yes-men?); awful singer; atrocious hit/miss ratio; not the equal of his genre cohorts say, Madonna) but can listen to multiple-in-a-rows of Stripes or Cocteaus. Oingo is a good argument but apparently I used to be able to sit through a Cure album.

Post Edited (01-22-12 08:54)

Reply To This Message

Author: rebelwithoutaclue 
Date:   01-21-12 19:06

instrumental music preety much wares on me after 20-30 minutes.
especially song stylists who cover songs. there are many great musicians who cover beatles songs in their particular style but it becomes repetitive to me 'a one trick pony but i stILL marvel at the musicianship.
due to my lack of musical intellect i also dont really grasp a lot of jazz - coletrane, monk etc.
i agree with you guys to a certain extent about prince and others.
i also dont listen to artists who only cover one genre of music all the way through. their first few songs are too superior to the latter half of their cds.

Reply To This Message

Author: Aitch 
Date:   01-22-12 17:48

Asian Dub Foundation, although I'm always happy when one of their's pops up on shuffle.

Reply To This Message

Author: STEVE 
Date:   01-22-12 18:42

either pete shelly & the buzzcocks or any of howard devoto'S solo Lp's.

Post Edited (01-22-12 18:44)

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org