Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Smile
Author: nosepail 
Date:   10-30-11 15:46

What is all this brouhaha about the Beach Boys releasing Smile after 44 years? Didnt we already go through this? What is this Brian Wilson Presents Smile CD sitting on my shelf that I am supposed to love? Please help me out.

Reply To This Message

Re: Smile
Author: MrFab 
Date:   10-30-11 16:53

what came out a few years ago was Wilson's remake of "Smile," with some new material.

These are the actual tapes of the legendary 60s sessions that had to be abandoned. bootlegs of seperate inrrumental tracks have been floating around for years, but it was somewhat speculative as to how they'd be arranged. now we'll know...

Reply To This Message

Author: totaji 
Date:   10-30-11 19:53

That one on your shelf would be like Jagger and a backing band recording Exile on Main Street in the 2000's.

Reply To This Message

Author: erikalbany 
Date:   10-30-11 19:54

Are there any other unfinished albums or musical pieces that are surrounded with such mystique or held in such regard? If there are, I can't think of one right now. . . Anyone?

Reply To This Message

Author: blasmo 
Date:   10-30-11 22:34

I love Smile. I think it's magnificent. Can't listen to it in pieces, or it doesn't work as well. Try the PurpleChick version if you can find it. For a bootleg, the fidelity's amazing.

Reply To This Message

Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   10-31-11 04:14

The Beach Boys? Damn.

I don't know much about the Beach Boys' SMILE.

But I do know that there is a song by The Fall called "Smile." I also know that if that song isn't on your short list of all-time favorite Fall tunes ... you've got issues. Major, non-negotiable, flawed-at-the-genetic-level issues.

"Roar-encore-special-vexation-process!"

THE definitive Fall tune? Perhaps.

We now return you to your Beach Boys thread already in progress.

Reply To This Message

Author: lawnbuddha 
Date:   10-31-11 09:55

I made the mistake of buying that Brian Wilson Presents...album; the release of the actual Smile sessions should (hopefully) wash that taste out of my brain.

Wish I could find the "Purple Chick" version you mention, blasmo, but I'll wait to see what I think of this new release before I go digging!

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   10-31-11 10:28

I don't dislike the Brian Wilson Smile, but I don't love it the way I'm apparently supposed to. The addition of Mike Love's vocals will likely not improve my opinion.

Reply To This Message

Author: blasmo 
Date:   10-31-11 11:38

http://www.earcandymag.com/purplechicksmile-2005.htm

I eventually downloaded my copy off the Pirate Bay. The fidelity is amazing for something like this.

Oh, and there's very little Mike Love on this thing. He didn't understand a thing about Smile and screamed at Van Dyke Parks about the meaning of the lyric "Over and over/ The crow cries uncover/ The cornfield". That was pretty much it for him.

Post Edited (10-31-11 12:44)

Reply To This Message

Author: Neilantman 
Date:   10-31-11 22:19

purple chick makes great bootlegs, esp for the beatles...there was a good documentary last night on showtime family called beautiful dreamer which covered all the trouble wilson had trying make smile back in the 60s and his remake in 2004...yes mike love hated it since it went against the formula..i have many smile bootlegs and reconstructions of the album , eagerly waiting for the deluxe box...

Reply To This Message

Author: totaji 
Date:   01-28-12 13:22

Did anyone here get the Sessions?
I've never been a bootleg monger so I never sought out the famous Purple Chick mix or whatever.
Also I really didn't listen to Brian Wilson's SMiLE because he ain't the same and his backing band ain't the same.
I must say I've been loving this set (Just the 2CD version.) There are several incredible versions of Surf's Up and the psychedelic down-home Americana of SMiLE. I can see why Love wasn't a fan...this was a huge departure from even Pet Sounds.
To me, this is The White Album of The Beach Boys catalogue, with less really solid songs and much more experimental. Who knows if it would have been this avant garde had it been released at the time.
It is easy to see why this has been sought after so intensely. In the mid to late 60's Brian Wilson was an incredibly talented guy and made a lot of wonderful music here.

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   01-28-12 23:00

That's the first thing I think of too, Hollow, when I hear the word "smile". Mark E. Smith singing that song and smiling as he smells the roses on a sunny day. The Beach Boys are #1000 on my list.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paganizer 
Date:   01-29-12 06:35

Quote:

THE definitive Fall tune?

possibly...possibly
the whole second side of the LP, really

BB::the new set has way too much filler for me; like, 90% of it is weightless, unformed, supermarket-like pab that makes me fidgety; makes me race for Times New Viking, Cerebral Ballsy or OFF!. They (BW included) were a singles band - the valuable deep tracks being so few. Of this this set convinced me.

Post Edited (01-30-12 06:28)

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   01-30-12 09:30

"Also I really didn't listen to Brian Wilson's SMiLE because he ain't the same and his backing band ain't the same."

As far as I'm concerned, any version of this music without Mike Love's indifferent monotone can only be an improvement.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org